Turbo leak problems.

Les Henson

I looked at an '05 plate Freelander today that is only 2-years old. It has to go back under warranty because the turbo is leaking oil into the pipework. There was a column in LRO about this problem - saying that L/R recommend the intercooler to be flushed every 48,000 miles. Is this a known fault with this BMW engine?

Les.

Sounds normal to me, they all have a bit of oil in the turbo pipework, most of them leak oil from the intercooler pipe to inlet join and egr to inlet pipe. Lr intorduced a newly designed pipe from the intercooler to the plastic intake pipe recently to try and cure it, there is a bulletin on it. Obviously there shouldnt be loads of oil in there, maybe a little more than a well look after 300tdi but not a lot.

Not too sure on service interval for intercooler flush, would of thought it was 48k, i'll try and check at work tomorow. I should know this anyway, dont tell anyone :ph34r: !!!

Just checked the service sheets and land rover dont ask for the intercooler on any freelander (L series or td4) to be flushed as part of a service. Its 48k on discos etc so thats when it would be recommended to do it, but its not part of the service instructions for any year of freelander! Very strange.

• 2 weeks later...