New tyres from Silverline

Holyzeus

Anyone seen the new tyres on page 119 of this months LRO? Nothing on their website, large tyres at reasonable prices Mudzilla and the Creepy crawler, opinion's? :unsure:

I've seen the advertisement and was really interested when I saw the prices. I'm want to see the tyres in the flesh but I don't think Silverline have them in yet

IMHO Don't look anywhere near as grippy as ETs s Swampers etc :unsure:

Nige

no def not, however prices are good and sizes quite large so considering unavailability of Simex, Fedima, Sirrocco etc and prices of others, are these a worthwile alternative? :unsure:

They are aimed at a totally different terrain to simex though, so its not really a like for like comparison, anyway - you have to wonder if super grippy big lugs is better than floatation style in mud anyway.....

They are aimed at a totally different terrain to simex though, so its not really a like for like comparison, anyway - you have to wonder if super grippy big lugs is better than floatation style in mud anyway.....

The only way the US guys get ok performance in mud from these tyres is to air them down to 5-7psi, otherwise the clog up all too quickly. So unless you run beadlocks, then getting the same performance in mud as US guys is not going to happen.

btw - this is not from personal experience, but from reading numerous US mags on the plane :rolleyes::rolleyes: . However, I must add that some of the US mags like Petersons have journos that actively push the development of drivetrain, suspension, tyres etc. so know what they are talking about.

Cheers

Steve

FWIW I had some 265/75R16 Insa Turbos and I found the Simex pattern to be a bit diggy in the short time I had them. The reason I got rid of them was because I couldn't stand the noise on-road but diggy tyres and soft ground do not seem to go together well...

Mudzilla

31x11.50x16 £115.15

33x13.50x15 £105.75

35x13.50x15 £117.50

37x13.50x15 £129.25

Creepycrawler

35x12.50x15 £135.12

37x12.50x15 £152.75

38x13.50x15 £170.37

35x12.50x16 £141.00

37x12.50x16 £164.50

Dissapointed that the mudzilla aren't available in bigger sizes in 16"

probably not of to much technical help or anything, but this 110 is on 37" creepys... and looks quite cool 4inch lift i think or maybe +2" body, or maybe 2" spring, 2" body. to be found on outerlimits if you want to find someone with experience of them, i forget the owners name.

post-865-1187556817_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

anybody got any more info on this or seen them yet?

I have sent off a few emails yesterday and this morning and am awaiting replies... nothing I can find about them being available from any UK suppliers including nothing on Silverline's website.

Having done a bit of Googling and found some info about them from other countries (they seem to be sold in the USA and Europe already), the only thing that concerns me a bit is the tread depth which is given as 21/32 on the 33x13.50R15, which is a shade under 17mm according to my calculator. 33x12.50R15 BFG MT's are 21mm for comparison, and I know from experience that once BFG's get a bit worn they do lose a fair amount of their grip so I wonder what the useful life of the Mudzilla's will be before they turn into "slicks" which just spray sh&* everywhere and don't provide much forwards progress.

As for actual sizes, found this on a NZ website for the above size:

"Inflated diameter is approx 825mm (32.5 inches), total tread width is approx 295mm (11.6 inches), width of flat tread section is approx 241mm (9.5 inches). "

One easy way to find out I suppose, I'm sure my old BFG's are looking a bit worn :)

The crawlers are very popular in Aus.

And as SteveG said they are getting lots of reveiws in the States, the softer compound version being hailed as better than BFG Krawlers :rolleyes:

We meet these for the first time earlier this year in Morroco and i have say i was very dissapointed, however we believe that is because the teams using them where running far to higher pressures.

However i am going to run a set at weekend at the Euro and see what happens. Because NO one seems to know?

I will be using 37/14.5x16 which actually measure a true 35.5' off the car uninflated.

The other reason the Aussies like them is they stretch after use. So they fit the tyre gauge (just) when new, however increase in size after use as the carcass softens.

There was a whole heap of rows at last years XI in Aus about it. All settled when they meausred the guys Brand new spare which fitted the gauges and the rules clearly state that the tyres must fit the gauge at the beginning of the event at the pressure specified by the organisers.

So i will let you know, and if we really F*ck it up, we'll blame the tyres :D

Jim :)