Alloy wheels and Drums...

Right then, because i was full of enthusiasm for this darned 90 we've bought i got on ebay to find some nice wheels at the behest of my good lady.

Boost alloys on their way. :)

Today on actually looking at the truck with my eyes open i notice i have drum rears. Annoying, my 110 had discs and that was on a 'K' too!

I had a bit of a "Doh" moment.

So, how do i get the darn things to fit as i'm reliably informed they wont.

I've searched on here but everything seems to say convert to discs.

Suggestions please.

Convert to discs. An easy mod. Just undo a few bots and roll the old axle out and then roll new axle under and do up the bolts. About 10 or 12 bolts ISTR. Or get a grinder and hack your new wheels about till they fit.But this second method IS NOT RECOMMENDED.

Plenty of cheap axles out there.

Hi Dunc,

Yes I am sure thats correct, I contacted an aftermarket manufacturer (cant remember who :unsure: ) and they told me the alloys would fit however the centre caps wouldn't go on correctly due to the way the halfshafts project out from the drum compared to disked axles.

You should be able to get a rear disk axle for £150ish.....

Search through the forum as there have been quite a few threads posted and elaborated on.

Cheers

G

Search through the forum as there have been quite a few threads posted and elaborated on.

Thanks mate.

Yeah searched and learned quite a bit about Salisburys before i posted, but thought i'd have a crack with a new post!

Like Walfy says, it's not hard. I'll have a look for an axle i guess...

You could try just replacing your halfshafts and using the thinner drive flanges.

Not quite enough

You need "Alloy" Hubs

the way to tell if you have them is to look at the end of the studs for the wheels, a "Slash" across the end or a triangle on the end means Alloys will fit the hubs

Iif not then even if you change the halfshafts when you put alloys on the hubs will be a interference fit,

and although you can "do them up" expect a "twang" :blink: at some point (ie not a good idea) as they are nowhere near right

Nige

Not quite enough

You need "Alloy" Hubs

the way to tell if you have them is to look at the end of the studs for the wheels, a "Slash" across the end or a triangle on the end means Alloys will fit the hubs

Iif not then even if you change the halfshafts when you put alloys on the hubs will be a interference fit,

and although you can "do them up" expect a "twang" :blink: at some point (ie not a good idea) as they are nowhere near right

Nige

OK Nige, at the risk of sounding stupid... why will they go 'twang'?

I'll go and check my studs for little marks in the morning too!

You could try just replacing your halfshafts and using the thinner drive flanges.

Not wanting to pass up a sales opportunity (!)... ;)

I have a pair of Discovery axles sat in my back yard looking for a home - 10 spline, complete with calipers etc. They could do with a tdiy up but have no leaks etc. £75 each..

Matt

Not wanting to pass up a sales opportunity (!)... ;)

I have a pair of Discovery axles sat in my back yard looking for a home - 10 spline, complete with calipers etc. They could do with a tdiy up but have no leaks etc. £75 each..

Matt

dammit, pity you couldn't deliver to Scotland!! :(

Guest diesel_jim
Hi Dunc,

Yes I am sure thats correct, I contacted an aftermarket manufacturer (cant remember who :unsure: ) and they told me the alloys would fit however the centre caps wouldn't go on correctly due to the way the halfshafts project out from the drum compared to disked axles.

You should be able to get a rear disk axle for £150ish.....

One here on fleabay, starting at 99 of the Queens pences.

maybe its a 90 thing, but when i ran rangie alloys on my 110 the problem was not with fitment on the rear, but on the front. on the rear they went of fine and sat flat on the drum. on the front, they hit the hub first and thus would not fit properly. i found this out a bit later when nuts would not tighten and wheels looked like they would fall off. i eventually rectified the situation with 4-5mm spacers for the front and removing the spring washers from the hub. at the back i had to do nothing for the several years i had them, apart from removing the centre caps of course.

This is a very commonly asked question and a problem I was facing myself recently.

Even with a disc-braked rear axle fitted that doesn't necessarily solve the problem as if (like me) you have 2-piece 24-spline shafts fitted the caps still sit through the centre of the wheels. Also, if you have early (thick) front hubs then you have the same problem there.

To make Boosts fit an earlier vehicle complete with centre-caps (looks pants without them even if you spray the dust-caps silver) and you don't want to go removing metal from the rear of the wheel either replace or rebuild the axles (not really an option just to fit alloys) or do as I did and go for an aftermarket alloy which fits all axle types. I really wanted Boosts but couldn't be bothered with all the changes required (especially as I have already overhauled the axles) so I fitted ZU rims.

• 2 weeks later...

I know i keep asking, but...

How do i know what axles i have?

I got underneath to find out what number they're stamped with so that i can order the correct seals from Paddocks, but i'm damned if i can find the number!

Truck is a 1993, 'K' plate 200 Tdi with drum rear axle.

If i buy one of the Discovery disc brake rear axles i've been offered, will my diff fit or will i have to change the drive shafts for my ones out of the 90? If i do that, will i be able to get alloys on or have i just negated one of the main reasons for changing it?

I know i keep asking, but...

How do i know what axles i have?

I got underneath to find out what number they're stamped with so that i can order the correct seals from Paddocks, but i'm damned if i can find the number!

Truck is a 1993, 'K' plate 200 Tdi with drum rear axle.

If i buy one of the Discovery disc brake rear axles i've been offered, will my diff fit or will i have to change the drive shafts for my ones out of the 90? If i do that, will i be able to get alloys on or have i just negated one of the main reasons for changing it?

axle serial number will be on the (vehicle's right) longer tube on the upper rear curve, same place for front axle, A discovery or later RRC rear axle will just bolt straight on, no need to use any parts from your 90's rear axle , diff's are the same ratio too, only 110's have rear Salisbury axles, all 90's have Rover rear axles with drum or disc brakes.

..or if you decide to go down the Wolf Wheel alternative, I have a set of 5 silver wolfs, still in boxes, in good condition in my shed. No idea what they are worth, but suggest £100 for the lot plus postage. I am in Northumberland (so not too far from Fife).

Damn things always come too late. Got a set of Disco steels yesterday!

Been offered a Disco axle so might get it to do the disc swap. It comes minus diff, so mine that's currently on the 90 will drop in nicely.

or you buy some wheel spacers to solve the problem.

I've had mine for ages, and they haven't caused any problems with wheelbearings....(lots of people warned me for this)

110boost600.jpg

How strange, that picture looks lke a model!!!

Must need my eyes tested! :D

Nice vehicle.

G