What can I stick in front of an LT95?

Ruuman

I'm now fed up with 12mpg and a complete fear of water, I wish to move to diesel/SVO land. Question is I can't seem to to find any conversion plates for the LT95 gearbox. I've been over the usual peoples websites and they only seem to cover newer boxes.

I don't really want to get rid of the lt95 mostly due to budget reasons, but it's also good and strong and has an overdrive too. Am I being silly and should move to something else, don't think I can afford more than an LT77 though :(

Also there's the question of what engine to fit.

My short list in order of preference is:

Isuzu 2.8td

200/300tdi

Dauhatsu 2.8td

nissan RD28T

nissan SD33

Are the i6 nissan's too heavy though, I know it's a tight squeeze and I'm going to bob/bullnose the rangie too, so the rad will have to relocate to the rear if this were the case.

Please help!!

Thanks

Ruu

LandRover Australia fitted the Isuzu 4BDI 3.9 litre engine with a specially cast bell housing to both the LT95 and later Lt85 transmissions. A firm in OZ by the name of Dellow Adaptors I think makes a flywheel housing to fit the BD1 to standard LT95 bell housings. I have seen Nissan 3.5 deisels fitted in the UK to LT95's in 101 forward controls, but don't know who makes the converson housing.

Bill.

Cheers for your help

I've heard the isuzu 3.9 is a good swap but I've never found a 3.9 in the uk.

Dirtydiesel your shamless has got me tempted, I have a horrible feeling a 4L i6 will have me spending a lot of cash upgrading the rest of the drive train.

Thanks for the adaptor plate info, I thought I'd need a different adaptor because the LT95 and LT77 have different clutch's but wasn't sure, I've only ever changed a clutch on a friends suzuki, so am very new to all this.

thanks

Ruu

Cheers for your help

Dirtydiesel your shamless has got me tempted, I have a horrible feeling a 4L i6 will have me spending a lot of cash upgrading the rest of the drive train.

Thanks for the adaptor plate info, I thought I'd need a different adaptor because the LT95 and LT77 have different clutch's but wasn't sure, I've only ever changed a clutch on a friends suzuki, so am very new to all this.

thanks

Ruu

The driven plate diameter is the same 10.5 inch but the splines are different course on the lt95 and fine on the lt77, the spigot bush may be slightly different diameter as well.

The only place you'll find 3.9 isuzu's in the uk is in nkr light comercials, but be ready for the price£££££££

The 4l 6 shouldn't be that bad nothing a salisbury or ashcroft carn't fix.

Cheers for your help

thanks

Ruu

If you can't get an Isuzu 4BD1-T from an N series truck, how about a Toyota 13B-T (3431 cc), 14B-T (3660 cc) or 15B-T (4140 cc) from Dyna trucks and Coaster bus? These are good engines for a landie. 4cyl, direct injection, turbo diesel.

• 2 years later...

LandRover Australia fitted the Isuzu 4BDI 3.9 litre engine with a specially cast bell housing to both the LT95 and later Lt85 transmissions. A firm in OZ by the name of Dellow Adaptors I think makes a flywheel housing to fit the BD1 to standard LT95 bell housings. I have seen Nissan 3.5 deisels fitted in the UK to LT95's in 101 forward controls, but don't know who makes the converson housing.

Bill.

I know this is an old post but here is an answer anyway. Dellow never made an adaptor for the 4BD1. Jaguar Rover Australia in all their wisdom decided to cast a flywheel cover and bellhousings to suit the LT85 and LT95 boxes. They also used a different starter, flywheel, pressure plate and a spigot bush adaptor. The bellhousings had problems with clutch pivots coming loose. The Lt85 boxes didnt last long behing the 4BD1, the huge torque pulses from the motor killed them fairly quickly. The Aus army specced their Perentie Landys with the Lt95 for that reason. I have seen LT95's handle 454ci big block Chev v8s! Even the R380 gearbox does not like 4BD1's especially turbo motors. There were alot of R380 boxes changed under warranty due to mainshaft failures.

I'm now fed up with 12mpg and a complete fear of water, I wish to move to diesel/SVO land. Question is I can't seem to to find any conversion plates for the LT95 gearbox. I've been over the usual peoples websites and they only seem to cover newer boxes.

I don't really want to get rid of the lt95 mostly due to budget reasons, but it's also good and strong and has an overdrive too. Am I being silly and should move to something else, don't think I can afford more than an LT77 though :(

Also there's the question of what engine to fit.

My short list in order of preference is:

Isuzu 2.8td

200/300tdi

Dauhatsu 2.8td

nissan RD28T

nissan SD33

Are the i6 nissan's too heavy though, I know it's a tight squeeze and I'm going to bob/bullnose the rangie too, so the rad will have to relocate to the rear if this were the case.

Please help!!

Thanks

Ruu

Heard of Megasquirt :P

Mind you the fuel consumption bit trickier - LPG ? :blink:

Don't go deep fat fryer, think of the soundtrack.... and smell :(:lol:

:lol:

Nige

Shameless plug ;)

There shouldn't be any need to upgrade to the lt77 as all the adapter kits for the v8 lt77's will fit your gearbox.

the link above doesn't work, can't figure out why, unless the original post has been deleted.

all I get is ----------------

An Error Occurred

Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

[#10343] We could not determine which topic you were attempting to view.

god, talk about a post from the past (2007), the rangie has long since joined the scrap yard in the sky. I fitted a 2.8 isuzu in the end, but situations changed and there was no way I could finish the project. so broke it for parts and bought my current 200tdi 90. A chap on here bought the engine and conversion plate (sorry can't remember your name if you see this) hopefully he made more progress than me :)

Odd timing though, pretty much killed the 200tdi yesterday and have just been setting about converting a disco 200 to defender setup. Any tips on getting the crank bolt off when it's on an engine stand?

Any tips on getting the crank bolt off when it's on an engine stand?

Make yourself a counterhold tool using a long piece of heavy bar.

Either bolt it to the flywheel end of the motor, or more usefully for the future, bolt it to the holes on the crank pulley that usually take the drivebelts.

That way you can hold it still to do it back up as well.

Make yourself a counterhold tool using a long piece of heavy bar.

Either bolt it to the flywheel end of the motor, or more usefully for the future, bolt it to the holes on the crank pulley that usually take the drivebelts.

That way you can hold it still to do it back up as well.

Ruu,

Pop round tonight and you can borrow my 400NM battery rattle gun. That ought to shift it.

How did you nearly kill your truck? Mudmonsters games?

Hi Mike,

cool, cheers for that, I'm out tonight. I'll give you a shout tommorow. We were camping all weekend and I had to try and keep up with normal cars in my clatter box. We then went to mud monsters, I took out a couple of friends who had never been offroading before so had to "show off" a bit :)

Needless to say oil pressure is now non existant I was then dragging a bowser about too. it's been close to dead for a while, but hoping to have replacement in by end of the week :)

did I show you the pics?

30819_10150170636740083_605065082_12385191_7717796_n.jpg

30819_10150170636760083_605065082_12385192_5581245_n.jpg

30819_10150170636770083_605065082_12385193_5139838_n.jpg

30819_10150170636780083_605065082_12385194_467721_n.jpg

Cool, I didn't know Singh grooves worked on diesels

in this case they don't!! :) on the other hand I had to look up Singh grooves, you learn something new everyday.

My engine is an advert for why you don't leave out the bolt on the side of the inlet manifold, have a punchtured intercooler and run no airfilter!!! (i might add none of this was my doing)

more lovely damage and goodies pics

found this inside the manifold waiting to add some more Singh speed holes in my pistons

n605065082_5541512_7786.jpg

the whole cylinder head in all it's glory, nothing exscaped damage

30819_10150170636730083_605065082_12385190_3042280_n.jpg

found this in the water way

30819_10150170636720083_605065082_12385189_3621626_n.jpg

how do you damage a turbo inlet this much?!?!

post-3730-128026867966_thumb.jpg

I think it is a testiment to the 200tdi, I bought it with this damage at 160k, it's now at 176k. Still runs fine, bit down on low end power and won't go over 70. but not bad.