300 tdi starting problems

Muddylandy

Can anyone offer any adice? I have a 300tdi auto 96N which I have been offroading for 6 months, but over the last month it has been month or so it has been a sod to start if left for more than a day. I have to crank for 15 - 20 seconds it then gradually starts to fire an after about 5 - 10 seconds of just about running it clears its throat and is fine. Any suggestions would be greatly received. Mark

Is it an EDC (electronically controlled) engine or a standard 300Tdi?

The reason I ask is because the EDC one has a lot more to go wrong with it. Otherwise I would say it sounds like air getting into the fuel system somehow, if it is a standard 300

Is it an EDC (electronically controlled) engine or a standard 300Tdi?

The reason I ask is because the EDC one has a lot more to go wrong with it. Otherwise I would say it sounds like air getting into the fuel system somehow, if it is a standard 300

I'm not sure which 300tdi it is ....how do I tell?

Hi muddy, if its EDC there will be no throttle cable to the injector pump, just a wiring multiblock. With the auto there is a cable from the throttle pedalto a bracket on top of the inj. pump with a lever connected to another cable connected to the autobox-this is the kickdown cable. If it is EDC then check the connections are clean/dry for the inj. pump and also the air flow meter near the air filter box. Secondly check for air /diesel leaks in the fuel sys up to the inj.pump, is the fuel filter clean/ sealed? Finally if the fuel liftpump is leaking back- dodgy valves- this will cause similar probs. Liftpumps are a common failure and are cheap and easy to replace.....

oh yes and welcome to LR4x4 hope the above helps

cheers

Steveb

Hi muddy, if its EDC there will be no throttle cable to the injector pump, just a wiring multiblock. With the auto there is a cable from the throttle pedalto a bracket on top of the inj. pump with a lever connected to another cable connected to the autobox-this is the kickdown cable. If it is EDC then check the connections are clean/dry for the inj. pump and also the air flow meter near the air filter box. Secondly check for air /diesel leaks in the fuel sys up to the inj.pump, is the fuel filter clean/ sealed? Finally if the fuel liftpump is leaking back- dodgy valves- this will cause similar probs. Liftpumps are a common failure and are cheap and easy to replace.....

oh yes and welcome to LR4x4 hope the above helps

cheers

Steveb

Many thanks, I shall be busy this weekend! Thankyou

maybe a stab in the dark but check the sender unit on top of the tank these pipes have been known to rust and let air in my mates 200tdi had this prob mine is a 300tdi n plate and mine had started to rust cleaned and coated in grease remove rear carpet rubber mat and there will be a round plate centre of floor remove the self tapers and check the pipes on top of the tank chris

maybe a stab in the dark but check the sender unit on top of the tank these pipes have been known to rust and let air in my mates 200tdi had this prob mine is a 300tdi n plate and mine had started to rust cleaned and coated in grease remove rear carpet rubber mat and there will be a round plate centre of floor remove the self tapers and check the pipes on top of the tank chris

Thanks for all help and advice guys, I think I have found the culprit in the little hard plastic pipe that looks like it is the diesel return pipe from the injector at the front. The pipe had been rubbing against a clip, and had developed a pin hole. Self amalgamating tape seems to have been a short term fix until I get some proper fuel hose. It was a bit tricky as there was no diesel leaking.

Thanks again. Muddy