Tool Cabs

pugwash

has anyone bought value tool chests from the likes of machine mart, halfords etc etc?

i have a little bit to spend on a big cab but don't want a piece of carp that will fall apart after a year. i want something that might lats a lifetime.

any ideas?

I have this little lot, have had it 3 years now and still seems fine to me drawers slide nicley and my only gripe is the push to lock drawers are some times a bit jerky opening them so if you nicley set your tools out they roll all over if you pull the drawer too much ;)

Rollcab

intermediate box

top box

good chest but i wish i had the bigger one :lol:

has anyone bought value tool chests from the likes of machine mart, halfords etc etc?

i have a little bit to spend on a big cab but don't want a piece of carp that will fall apart after a year. i want something that might lats a lifetime.

any ideas?

Gedore ...... not the cheapest but well built. Ive had mine for years and its had horrendous abuse over the years, its even been run over by a daf 95.

Cheap and last a lifetime dont go in the same sentence as far as tool boxes are concerned.

thanks chaps- i don't want cheap- just good value.

I can't stomach the £700-£800+ on a tool chest that will not be used ALL the time- therefore the likes of snap-on etc are right out.

must be some way of just spending a couple of hundred and getting something good?

We had a Gedore catalogue at work last week.The cabinets look much better that machine mart/clarke ones,and not too expensive.

A hell of a lot cheaper than snap-on or mac tools.

I am thinking of buying one,but have only seen photos of them.

Costco have a rather nice stainless one in at the moment, £399+ VAT... its HUGE and looks really nicely made..

My only other suggestion, would be buy a secondhand Snap-on.. my Top box is a Snap-on, which is well over 10 years old, its about £650 from Snap-on, as they still make it ,but you'll find a good second-hand one for £250..

I reckon a good, used Snap-on is a better bet than a new cheapie one...

Jim , For heavy proffesional use I would go with Snap-on every time , A bit pricey the average roll cab would set you back about £600 , Or the dealers do sell a lot of px boxes for about 2/3rds of new price depending on condition . Its cracking stuff and lasts , I have spent over 5k on tool storage alone and wont buy anything but snap-on .

Alternatively the other tool dealers that visit me do some good priced boxes for lighter use , In particular the Facom / Britool boxes are very well priced and look well up to the job .

I can find out more if you like ??

Personally I would avoid the MM ,Halford type boxes if you intend to use them a good bit , They are cheaply made (for low prices ) and will last about 20 times less than a branded name box , But as they say " You get what you pay for"

Jase.

I have a Snap-On roll cab in my garage.I bought it when I was working. Late 1970's I would think. Apart from the lock not locking and it looking somewhat scruffy it works fine. A couple of the drawers have some heavy stuff in them.

I could if you really wanted see how much it cost me.

I was offered a really good price against a new set without the dealer seeing it.

I think Snap-On is over priced. It is IMO the best.

mike

I agree Snap-on is the best its all I ever used when I was Agri engineering, however I feel its over the top for the average landy owner unless your minted, I sold all my snap on kit a while back when funds were low. I bought a cheap MM top box and its exactly that but it suits my weekend use of it. When it breaks I'll replace with a britool one most probably they seem very good value for money.

I've got the Clarke Machine mart ones, mines an HD Plus version, i have the CBB212 bottom and a CBB209 top - its fantastically built, really sturdy, good ball bearing draw mechanisms and a useful sielection of large small and deep draws with a cabinet at the bottom. :)

About 6 years ago I bought a "waterloo shop series" black setup from Halfords for £150 on special offer. It has a large bottom toolcart for powertools etc and 2 stack/tool chest units on top - 12 full width sliding drawers in all and a top container and about 5ft tall in all. I use it every day though not professionally and its been brillant, no broken locks or sticky drawers and i have given it some abuse so for the non pro users its a good setup. I thought I had bought a budget setup but I remember at the time the salesman was suprised at the price and there was only the one in the shop and looking at the price of a identical setup now on the net i see why, I think they missed off a 0 in the price :lol:

We have used a Halfords cabinet in the factory for about 3 years, gets light use every day and still working very well. I have always been impressed with Facom tool quality and cheaper than other brand names so if they sell cabinets might be worth a try.

We have used a Halfords cabinet in the factory for about 3 years, gets light use every day and still working very well. I have always been impressed with Facom tool quality and cheaper than other brand names so if they sell cabinets might be worth a try.

I have a "Halfords Pro", go to the local shop ask for a Trade Card and the buy the box, I saved about £40 and the Pro Range has Life Time Warrenty.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...ategoryrn_31464

thanks for all the replies guys.

i went to look at a couple of ebay snap-on "bargains" but they were buggered and still £££- whilst i would have loved snap on stuff i can't be arsed travelling all over the place to get something i like!

teng tools got a look, as did facom, but getting either is not particularly easy.

so that came down to halfords and clarkes. The halfords stuff was quite well built, but i went for the clarke HD plus range which was slightly cheaper than the halfrauds stuff but still seems well enough built to last me a few years, it has roller bearings and is fully lockable. The grade of steel is certainly strong enough not to warp or flex and the powerdercoating seems good quality too. The lower cabinet was 65kg so it must have a reasonable amount of metal in it.