Air con on a V8?

post-264-1187593878_thumb.jpgpost-264-1187593808_thumb.jpgHere's the only two pics I have that show anything for the A/C. In the frontal shot...the compressor fits on the left side mounting bracket.

The Compressor should ideally be a Denso unit or the cheaper version is the Sanden which doesn't last as long.

Hmm, I think that is a RR motor no?

The water pump nose & pulleys have different offsets. I know cos i tried that mount first.

The defender air-con mount is different, sits closer to the centre & swivels, rather than having a tensioner.

Unfortunately, with that mount my compressor fouls the rocker cover.

So, i'm assuming the defender compressors are shorter....

Hmm, I think that is a RR motor no?

The water pump nose & pulleys have different offsets. I know cos i tried that mount first.

The defender air-con mount is different, sits closer to the centre & swivels, rather than having a tensioner.

Unfortunately, with that mount my compressor fouls the rocker cover.

So, i'm assuming the defender compressors are shorter....

It's a mix of everything 4.6 actually!

When I first bought the 130 it had a 3.5 carb & a different make of A/C compressor who's names escapes me...but it was a drum type affair...abit like a brake servo.

Both the compressor types will fit so long as you have the right brackets etc.

Let me search for the original picture.....back in a minute.

Here we go...the engine that came out of the truck when I bought it.

post-264-1187622938_thumb.jpg

S.

Interesting - I had thought that with the 4 bolt water pump the offset is differnet, and i couldnt use the RR type mount (as in your pic), but your motor seems to have that.

I have found conversly that with the new defender compressor mount, that the rear of the compressor fouls the rocker cover. So i'm not sure wether there was a shorter compressor used or not.

I may try with the RR mount again. If not i think i will machine & weld the front of the rocker cover....

thanks streaky!

Argh no, i can't work this out.

If i use the earlier bracket (as photos above) then the offset is wrong & the pulleys dont line up.

If i use the later bracket (swiveling thing with prongs), the sanden compressor does not fit it & it would also foul the rocker covers.

Does anyone have a defender with this later type? Could you please post a photo?

Argh no, i can't work this out.

If i use the earlier bracket (as photos above) then the offset is wrong & the pulleys dont line up.

If i use the later bracket (swiveling thing with prongs), the sanden compressor does not fit it & it would also foul the rocker covers.

Does anyone have a defender with this later type? Could you please post a photo?

These are some pics I recently took from my V8, I have no idea what the difference is between the compressors, but I can take some other shots if this is what you're looking for!

post-1967-1188228988_thumb.jpg

post-1967-1188229800_thumb.jpg

T

cheers mr canuk, thats what i wanted to see - the mystical flat compressor.

I think thats what i need, to avoid my rocker cover.

Only problems is now - where do i find one second hand & will this type work for onboard air?