Front 50mm tow hitch

My 90 has an HD winch bumper and both NATO and 50mm ball/hook on the front (mainly for recovery or pushing other Land Rovers around the 'lot'.

I have adopted a Td5110 for a few months, and was considering a front tow hitch to aid moving the caravan around, and also when hiring twin axle car transporters it can be easier to move them around from the front (learned on Unimogs and Harriers!).

If I fitted a hitch straight to the standard bumper it would be too high, and I did have a Bearmach screw on front towing attachment, but all it did was to skin the bumper of paint and slide off when pushing around a corner.

It might be that there is an off the shelf part, or the welder and grinder might need to make an appearance (never a bad thing)... I dont use this for off roading, just for general driving and towing so front approach angle is not so important..

Any suggestions, pictures welcomed.( these are the sort of thing http://www.watling-towbars.co.uk/docs/front_towbars05.pdf http://www.mudmudmud.co.uk/page20.html)

Why not buy a couple of side brackets for a steering guard (I think Rebel will sell the brackets separately) and use that as a starting point, then weld or bolt in a bit of box section steel between the two brackets and mount a hitch on that?

Guest dew110CSW

Don't know if it's any help but that's what my OneTen has to lower the towball a bit on the front.

Then A Spreader plate behind that stretches to both chassis arms

post-2159-1187553012_thumb.jpg

Why not buy a couple of side brackets for a steering guard (I think Rebel will sell the brackets separately) and use that as a starting point, then weld or bolt in a bit of box section steel between the two brackets and mount a hitch on that?

I like this Idea, I will get on to it and report back.

This means the tow ball (if a standard one was used) could be lower and behind bumper level.

I might keep my eyes open for an RR or Disco receiver type hitch this means that I can remove it when not in use. The price bar has been set in one of my links as there is an off the shelf one (with removable ball) for £90+Carriage+VAT...

Don't know if it's any help but that's what my OneTen has to lower the towball a bit on the front.

Then A Spreader plate behind that stretches to both chassis arms

This looks nice and simple, but my basic understanding of physics (apart from a crush on the nice lady teacher in school) would suggest that the use of this type of bracket should be limited to light loads, as the leverage on the ball might twist the bumper (unless the spreader actually transfered the load to the chassis?)

I will be pushing and pulling twin axle trailers often with another 110 on the top into tight corners (low speed of course) and want something that attaches directly to the chassis as per rear bracket.