Sad day!

simonr

Reason for edit: made visible so all can see what a fool dew110csw is.no wonder he was kicked off of other websites for being an arse

:hysterical:

Any doubt is now removed - Plank

Back to the point of this thread.

Me too, a 2.4AFFF, my old BCF Halon on the front face of the passenger seatbox, and a nice Zero360

I think many of us have Si to thank for making us think and reconsider our own and others future safety, am also waiting delivery of a lage extingusher for workshop AND House

Still feel for him and the loss of his 90 :(

Nige

Si, I've only just seen the thread - you must be gutted!!!! I know what you mean about a vehicle becoming more than just a collection of parts - when you put in the sort of hours you have you put a bit of yourself into it and if you loose this it is a real blow! However, at least you got out ok and, as bad as loosing a vehicle is, its nothing to being seriously injured.

Incidentally I had a similar experience with a powder extinguisher recently when I tried to put out a bin fire. I grabbed the extinguisher that used to live in the truck and all I got was a fart. I was lucky that I could pull the bin out of the workshop and turn a hose on it however its taught me to buy decent extinguishers!

Anyway, chin up. On the plus side I guess it'll give you an extra incentive to finish the new truck.

Si,

Just heard about this on the grapevine yesterday, glad to hear your okay.

Certainly making us think about the entinguisers we have in our clubs vehicles.

Only just started to carrying one myself last month to comply with MSA regs - for club insurance.

Cheers

Peter

Twinaxle.com

Only just seen this so commiserations to you from us in the USA :( As you say, only a bit of metal but I know I'd have been gutted to watch my car burn.

Agree with all the others, no harm in carrying some safety kit. Personally all my cars have window smashers, seatbelt cutters, first aid kits and fire extingushers. As long as you know your limits and are sensible these are all valid bits of kit I wouldn't be without. The Camels even got a fire blanket for camping trips :)

Glad you're ok Simon, that's the important thing :)

Jen (and Dan)

Simon is safe and he must rise from the ashes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't worry - something is already rising from the ashes! Technically it began rising last November, but it's rising a lot faster now!

Jen & Dan - thanks! I think the seatbelt cutter window smasher things are good too. Hope your trip is going well!

Si

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the support - I really do appreciate it!

I've had a long chat with NFU this morning and finally, they made me what I can only describe as a very fair offer!

Hats off to them for the friendlyness and reasonableness of the staff and the whole process.

The only thing I would have liked was the vehicle back to re-build, but the offer they made was good enough that it seemed rude to argue too hard.

The question now is what to buy next? Do I go diesel? (Sorry for swearing Dave!).

I did think about buying a classic RR tdi auto with a soft dash (ideally in black for the drug dealer look) - if I can find one. Not to off road but as a comfy tow truck for long distances. Then I can use it to tow the Suzuki when it's finally finished.

I don't know!

Si

Sorry to hear about your motor Si, been out of action for while. We have many fond memories of following it around Culmhead and either pulling it out or being pulled out.

You did say you were into a new project, try and keep the same colour, its almost a trade mark.

Do you think a fully working fire extinguisher would have made the difference in this instance or would it have gone anyway?.

post-978-1190141920_thumb.jpg

You did say you were into a new project, try and keep the same colour, its almost a trade mark.

It is a nice colour - and I still have three tins to use!

Do you think a fully working fire extinguisher would have made the difference in this instance or would it have gone anyway?.

Almost certainly. The conclusion was that it was caused by leaves & stuff falling off the underside on to the hot exhaust and eventually catching fire. It was then fueled by the oil & grease which covers the underside of most LR's.

At the point I caught it, the fire was small and should have been easily extinguished - although the window of oportunity was very narrow, perhaps 20 seconds before it would have needed something more dramatic.

Si

Simon,

If you are after a RRC, this one in the classifieds is still for sale, my boss has not bothered to do anything about selling it all summer, poss open to sensible offers?

If this is inappropriate to post, then please say, its just outside Southampton.

Just a thought, as my boss mentioned he still had it!

RRC on Here

:)

Glad you've sorted out the insurance.

I stand to be corrected but I can't help thinking that the 'leaves on the exhaust' idea as a seat of the fire lacks credibility - doesn't sound like enough heat to combust wet leaves.

Speaking as a pyromaniac (and don't try this at home) even petrol tends to just bubble and fizzle if dumped on hot exhaust downpipes - you need incandescent metal and trapped vapours to get it to ignite.

Scared the hell outta me the first time I discovered that, being sat astride the thing in a fuel station at the time.

Don't suppose it matters now though so long as Mr Insurance is happy.

• 2 weeks later...