A/C compressors

pugwash

In regards to using a/c compressors as engine driven air compressors are all compressors equal?

i have a non land rover item which i want to use- it is easily greasable, has an electric clutch and seems fairly sizeable. It's off a chevy V8 and was out of a modern pontiac firebird so i guess it would pump a reasonable amount of air.

is it as simple of just greasing it up, connecting up the inlet and sticking to the outlet to a pressured tank!

There is very little difference in operation or performance as a compressor between one and another.

I've seen compressors from v.small cars which are about the size of a beans can - dare say they will deliver less air than a bigger unit, but probably more than you need either way.

It is just a case of filling with grease & connecting up. I would recommend using metal pipe for the first metre or so out of the outlet. The air exits warm enough to melt Nylon hose.

Si

Some aircon compressors develop enough pressure and volume to run airtools efficiently whilst some others are only suitable for inflating tyres.

i have found that most AC compressors pump their grease or whatever lubricant is used into the receiver tank and airlines, and then into the tyres unless an oil separator is fitted. It is difficult to repair punctures on oil soaked inner tubes. For this reason I first run the compressor for half an hour with the intake hose connected to the outlet hose and the comressor filled with a PTFE compound such as Nulon or Slick 50. After the compressor is nice and warm drain off the PTFE and you can then run the compressor dry for very many operations. I keep the drained of PTFE and repeat operation about once a year.

bill.

cheers guys- great tip bill- how often do you use your compressor like this- regularily or just a couple of times a year?

I use it quite a lot for operating difflocks, reinflating tyres after offroading and because I'm getting too lazy to repair slow punctures on my LandRover, trailer, etc. I use it a bit at home as a substitute for a workshop compressor, but I don't operate airtools with it because my current one is a vane type, roughly the size of a 35 amp alternator, and doesn't pump out a lot of volume.

Bill.

I (had) a sanden type pump, commonly fitted to RR's. At 3000rpm, it developed about 10cfm - which was plenty for running air tools. With a reservoir, you can still run tools with a smaller compressor.

The reservoir tends to collect most of the oil vapour (and water) from the pump too.

Si