Tyre wear lives

gavin.

There is a lot of information about tyres out on the interweb, but there is very little about tyre wear rates - which I think is something that would be of a great deal of importance if you are taking the time to choose what rubber to shod your wheels with!

Here is what I am asking: If you can spare the time, and have the info, could you reply with the following:

Your Tyre make & model (Remould Y/N)

Your Tyre size

Your Car

Off road:On road ratio (i.e. 10:90, 40:60 etc...)

Date installed (and removed*)

New tread depth*

Current tread

Tyre life (actual or projected on wear rate)

* If applicable or available

Any input would be appreciated, try and keep it all reasonably accurate and perhaps we could get some interesting results!

That's a great idea - presumably you will compile and publish the results back here? When I get my new tyres - I'll join in, but since I have no idea of what mileage the current set are, or what tread depth they had at the start, I think that my info would be pretty useless :)

TwoSheds

That's a great idea - presumably you will compile and publish the results back here? When I get my new tyres - I'll join in, but since I have no idea of what mileage the current set are, or what tread depth they had at the start, I think that my info would be pretty useless :)

TwoSheds

I'll be getting some new tyres at the end of the year so I will doing the same. I am hoping that there are a few people, somewhere, that can help out to get it started! The idea is to get some ball park figures published which people can use as a guide. There is a duplicate thread that I started on the tyre section of another popular 4x4 forum which should expand the sampling somewhat.

Your Tyre make & model (Remould Y/N) BFG AT

Your Tyre size 31*10.5*r15

Your Car Land Rover 90

Off road:On road ratio (i.e. 10:90, 40:60 etc...) 1:99

New tread depth* 13mm

Current tread 8mm

Tyre life (actual or projected on wear rate) 5mm/42000m = 1.2mm/10000m projected life 90000m

Your Tyre make & model (Remould Y/N) BFG AT

Your Tyre size 31*10.5*r15

Your Car Vauxhall Frontera

New tread depth* 13mm

Current tread 7mm

Tyre life (actual or projected on wear rate) 6mm/50000m = 1.2mm/10000m projected life 90000m

Your Tyre make & model (Remould Y/N) Kuhmo Mud 834

Your Tyre size 235 85 r16

Your Car Land Rover 90/110

New tread depth* 13mm

Current tread 7mm

Tyre life (actual or projected on wear rate) 6mm/18000m = 3.3mm/10000m projected life 33000m

On:off = 1:99

I did more than 80000 miles in the Frontera, it did a reasonable number of play days and laning trips but I doubt the total mileage on unmetaled roads reached 1000. Clocking up large "off road" miles is tough, hours on the other hand......

I lived on the edge of Salisbury plain for 10 months. If you went out for 4 hours you would be lucky if you could claim 25 "off road" miles the "road" mileage would be similar or higher!

On:off = 1:99

I did more than 80000 miles in the Frontera, it did a reasonable number of play days and laning trips but I doubt the total mileage on unmetaled roads reached 1000. Clocking up large "off road" miles is tough, hours on the other hand......

I lived on the edge of Salisbury plain for 10 months. If you went out for 4 hours you would be lucky if you could claim 25 "off road" miles the "road" mileage would be similar or higher!

Makes sense now! This is the sort of thing I am hoping on producing, except with more data, obviously!

post-3629-1187611379_thumb.png

Your Tyre make & model (Remould Y/N): BFG AT

Your Tyre size: 245/70R16

Your Car: Range Rover 2.5 DT

Date installed (and removed*) 10-2006

New tread depth*: 13

Current tread: 11

Tyre life (actual or projected on wear rate): 15.000 m as yet, projected life 75.000m

Your Tyre make & model (Remould Y/N): BFG MT

Your Tyre size: 255/85R16

Your Car: Land Rover Defender 90

Off road:On road ratio (i.e. 10:90, 40:60 etc...) 1:90

Date installed (and removed*) 05-2005/02-2007

New tread depth*: 16

Tyre life (actual or projected on wear rate): sold after 20.000 m, projected life 50.000m

Your Tyre make & model (Remould Y/N): BFG AT

Your Tyre size: 245/70R16

Your Car: Range Rover 2.5 DT

Date installed (and removed*) 10-2006

New tread depth*: 13

Tyre life (actual or projected on wear rate): 15.000 m as yet, projected life 75.000m

Your Tyre make & model (Remould Y/N): BFG MT

Your Tyre size: 255/85R16

Your Car: Land Rover Defender 90

Off road:On road ratio (i.e. 10:90, 40:60 etc...) 1:90

Date installed (and removed*) 05-2005/02-2007

New tread depth*: 16

Tyre life (actual or projected on wear rate): sold after 20.000 m, projected life 50.000m

Added, thank you.

Where are all you General AT2, Cooper STT and ST and Goodyear Wrangler MT/R users (to name a few)?

BF Goodrich Mud Terrain Not a Remould!

265/75/16

Defender 130

removed feb o7

New tread depth unsure of

Tread depth when removed 7mm

Tyre life was 57'000 miles.

Replaced with more BFG Muds

Thanking you! Please come again.

Hey guys,

Can you help me? I am hopping across from one forum to another in order to do the following:

There is a lot of information about tyres out on the interweb, but there is very little about tyre wear rates - which I think is something that would be of a great deal of importance if you are taking the time to choose what rubber to shod your wheels with!

Here is what I am asking: If you can spare the time, and have the info, could you reply with the following:

Your Tyre make & model (Remould Y/N)

Your Tyre size

Your Car

Off road:On road ratio (i.e. 10:90, 40:60 etc...)

New tread depth*

Current tread

Tyre life (actual or projected on wear rate)

* If applicable or available

Any input would be appreciated, try and keep it all reasonably accurate and perhaps we could get some interesting results!

This is what we have so far:

post-3629-1187711479_thumb.png

Best that I don't bugger up your calculations completely by adding a figure of 24000 miles for BFG AT's in normal road use then :)

No, screw that - if you had a set of them and you managed to wear all 1/2" of tread in 24k miles then tell me about it.

Can you give me more details than that please?

Simple - rough gravel roads, not every country in the world drives on smooth tarmac :)

Likewise a lot of MT's here are starting to look pretty sad after 10-12000 miles. I could tell you about somebody I know who completely wore out a set of (usually hard wearing) Michelin XPCs in 8000 miles as well, or the Goodyears I wore out on my Td4 Freelander in 6000 miles, but it wouldn't be relevant to most people on here and I don't have accurate tread before/after figures for any of those anyway. Lies damn lies and statistics :)

By the way I will be seeking opinions from other moderators but since this has been posted on each of the subforums you may find this post is merged into a single thread in the International forum.

So does that mean that although it wears the fastest, BFG ATs last the longest? Or is the right hand index reversed?

Cheers

Blippie

RH axis is how many miles (x1000) you will get with every 1mm of tread. Handy if you are buying part worn tyres.

By the way I will be seeking opinions from other moderators but since this has been posted on each of the subforums you may find this post is merged into a single thread in the International forum.

Ideal, makes life a little easier.