+2" Lift with spacers or springs

66gaza

Hi, looking for a +2" lift and was thinking about using spacers but talking to someone at billing who had done this and said vehicle wandered all over the road and I said that he possibly needed QT3 radius arms to correct the castor he said that it had them and that changing the spacers for +2" springs restored the handling. So what are your experiences good or bad.

Gaza

Spacers or springs will have exactly the same effect on castor which causes the vague straight ahead steering.

Spacers are a relatively cheap way to get a lift and your front shocks won't need replacing for the same droop travel. You will have to check that your springs don't bind before the axle hits the bumpstop though. Rear shocks will need lengthening for the same droop.

Taller springs also tend to be stiffer in most cases so they will handle better than a vehicle lifted with spacers and using the original springs. The stiffer springs will also produce a rougher ride, swings and roundabouts, you can't have wonderful handling and soft springs with a big lift :)

I've got some 2" spacers on the front of my rangie and haven't noticed any real change, though it's never been a taught cornering machine.

The reason I got the spacers was to correct the sag in the scorpion springs the previous owner had fitted.

Spacers were easy to fit and well made, though I did have to drill out the thread on the axle spring mount to get the supplied bolts to fit. Apart from that it was easy sailing and I had car that rides level (well it did the springs have sagged another inch already!!)

:rolleyes: Got 2 inch springs on mine Bright yellow on the front from you know who, with Blue Bearmach ones on the back which are too hard at 500 lbs. Seems to have had little affect other than getting rid of the dreaded lean on corners and the sag at the back when loaded, goosed load leveller !

But I wonder whether standard LR HD springs will achieve vitually the same at cheaper cost, certainly the back ones for a 110 give virtually the same lift ?

Will, didn't you know it's heresy to say that shock drop mounts work ok on here? ;););) To then say that spacers and shock drop mounts work well is blasphemy! :o:o

I've found out that you are not allowed to say that shock drop mounts work fine on a Defender by some suspension purists on here.

Cheers

Steve :):)

Thanks for the replies. I have a 6 wheel camper and all 6 springs are red/red driver side 110 rears which I think are 330lbs/inch, I am very happy with the ride but have replaced the motor and have sump to axle clearance issues, spacers seemed the ideal way to go as it meant I kept my known ride quality and cheap replacement springs. Going for the +2" replacement springs is in my opinion a gamble as I am worried I may get the lift but with a harsh ride. I can make the spacers myself so might do this as cost will be minimal. My chassis is a Designa so the bumpstops are series can I buy bump stop spacers?.

Gaza

Will, didn't you know it's heresy to say that shock drop mounts work ok on here? ;););) To then say that spacers and shock drop mounts work well is blasphemy! :o:o

I've found out that you are not allowed to say that shock drop mounts work fine on a Defender by some suspension purists on here.

Cheers

Steve :):)

Trust me to put my foot in it ;)

My 110 has -1" lower front mounts as well :unsure: at least they are red not orange :o

Will :)