Anyone with a mech PTO winch?

jameslwt

Hi

Took the shaft off my H14 Superwinch which is on my 300 tdi 110 last night as 1 x of the uj's needs doing etc, and when I got in it to drive to work this morning I was amazed at how much quieter the truck was in general, particularly at start up. No rattling noises! So I was wondering if other people's winch/driveshaft setupt do the same?

Mine is the one where the front bracket bolts onto the sump bolts, ie the engine, as opposed to other some models where it bolts to the front crossmember, so being attached to the sump, I would expect it to vibrate a bit (it is part of the engine after all!).

Do other peoples have any sort of isolation - rubber etc between the brackets and vehicle? 1 bracket on bottom of gearbox and the one I have already mentioned. I didn't get any with mine when I bought it off eblag. I had to make the front bracket as there wasn't one when I got it all - not sure how critical the design had to be - I took rough measurements off another 300tdi and photos from Superwinch etc.

The winch works just fine as it is but the (relative) peace and quiet was a joy to behold! :D

Cheers

James

I have two, front and rear but they shouldn't be noisy if not engaged through the PTO. mine are virtually silent when working as well.

Is the shaft moving and knocking on the sump, chassis or exhaust or something.

I have two, front and rear but they shouldn't be noisy if not engaged through the PTO. mine are virtually silent when working as well.

Is the shaft moving and knocking on the sump, chassis or exhaust or something.

Any metal to metal contact between the engine/transmission/axles and the chassis will transmit noise, vibration and harshness to varying degrees. I recall when I had cable operated difflocks years ago that the truck was appreciably noisier when the difflocks were engaged only because the cable was taut and gave a solid metal connection between axles and vehicle interior.

Maybe a steering type rubber flex coupling on the pto shaft between your engine and winch may dampen the NVH down a bit.

Bill.

Is there a sliding joint in the propshaft and is it free to move? I had many problems with the engine moving around, but the shaft being solid.

Daan

The sliding joint is fine and all works, except the front uj is shot so may have been shaking around a lot. Think the front bracket needs reinforcing as well, as was a home made jobbie.

Time to go and have a play again!

Cheers guys

I had my pto shafts supported with a flimsey thin gauge metal bracket bolted to the underside of sump using the sump bolts - tended to rattle alot so made a heavy duty bracket 3mm plate bolted using 3 bolts rather than 2 - no more rattles

Hope this helps

Some not very good photos here (old bracket)

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopi...amp;hl=s2hotdog

Steve

I had my pto shafts supported with a flimsey thin gauge metal bracket bolted to the underside of sump using the sump bolts - tended to rattle alot so made a heavy duty bracket 3mm plate bolted using 3 bolts rather than 2 - no more rattles

Hope this helps

Some not very good photos here (old bracket)

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopi...amp;hl=s2hotdog

Steve

Cheers Steve

The bracket we made is about 3mm, but the weld fractured (!) so time to have a play/beef it up etc.