Welding Upside-down??

smo

I can't stick weld upside down - those than can do a good upside down stick weld are not normal people. :P

Les.

that makes me feel better. was doing some chassis repairs for mot with le arc and have little burnt holes in my socks and trousers and leg to prove it. took me ages to get it looking kind of passable (i.e not requiring the g clamps to hold the two pieces of metal together). it was also raining and all the water from the car seemed to drain down the bulkhead and out at the outrigger i was fixing. mot was the next day and needless to say the previous day had been brilliantly sunny.

glad to hear it is quite difficult.

Reading this I have to tell you a story of a customer I used to deal with when I was in the motor trade. He always had a stagger and used a walking stick, one day we got to talking about what happened to him.

He was under a car welding when a piece of molten metal went in to his ear - of couse because it was molten it melted the wax and went straight through the ear drum and basically inside his head destroying his inner ear etc. He now has no sense of balance, feels perminatly dizzy/sick and has to take drugs every day just to get by, plus he regularly has flashbacks.

I now use ear plugs whenever i weld under a car for a few pence for ear plugs its got to be worth it!

• 1 month later...

I find its all in the wrist action :o Just like welding up hill rather than down.

Yup it can be donw but you need to be able to let one bit to cool before going passed it again. IN other words figure of eight type pattern or scallops.

Works for me normaly no need to fiddle with the settings.

In my opinion, the best way is to turn up the wire speed a little so that you can move a little quicker, avoiding concentratibng the arc in one place for too long. I also like to concentrate the arc towards the underside of the horizontal piece of metal or edge if it is the lower edge of a plate - ranging in thickness (from 3-20mm depending on who you are :lol: ), rather than directly into the corner, so that as the molten metal flows, it drops under gravity to form the weld properly, rather than having a large bulbous weld hanging down. It also lets you keep the heat up to ensure good penetation.

As said previously, short welds and allow the weld pool to cool slightly, (back to dark red through the mask, rather than fully molten) before starting again. As you improve, you will learn the effect of different actions, in what ever position, which will allow you to master the more difficult positions.

Toby

Reading this I have to tell you a story of a customer I used to deal with when I was in the motor trade. He always had a stagger and used a walking stick, one day we got to talking about what happened to him.

He was under a car welding when a piece of molten metal went in to his ear - of couse because it was molten it melted the wax and went straight through the ear drum and basically inside his head destroying his inner ear etc. He now has no sense of balance, feels perminatly dizzy/sick and has to take drugs every day just to get by, plus he regularly has flashbacks.

I now use ear plugs whenever i weld under a car for a few pence for ear plugs its got to be worth it!

On a similar note try not to wear rigger boots when welding / burning, I had a bad experience a few years back whilst burning the exhaust bolts off a nissan, one of the glowing red hot bolt heads dropped into my right rigger boot, pulling the boot off was a no no as the bolt head was stuck on top of the arch of my foot :( so i ended up on my back shaking my leg like Bruce forsyth in the mens rooms :lol: the bolt dislodged itself only to get caught up in my overalls, which quickly started smoldering :huh: , it took many years for the burn to heal, but my overalls were buggered for ever :D

when your welding dont just point and hope for the best

watch whot the metal is doing and move to compensate you dont need

loads of amps to weld but you do needed enought use your ears you can hear when

is going right

it about using all your sences not just your eyes

i cant cant read or wright but i can weld alright :D

taught the hard way by a man with a bit of 2x2 box and and a 9" grinder :angry:

Don't know about the rigger boot thing . I always wear them after a big blob of molten steel burned through the tongue of some normal boots when I was scrapping a silo , even with melted laces they don't come off fast enough! Just make sure you wear the riggers inside your trouser legs or in an ideal world get some Quick escape foundry boots.