Two Questions about bolts & helicoils

ChrisB

Greetings friends,

I have two very separate issues:

The first is: are the bolts holding the rear top shock mount on my 200tdi Disco special LR-only items, or can I use something more easily available, probably stainless?

Second Question, totally non-LR: I have a small outboard motor with aluminium cast housing which has a stripped M6 thread in it. Is a helicoil-type insert the way forward? if so, I've never used one before - all info welcome!

Many thanks

Chris

The top shock mount bolts are nothing special. Take one to your local fasterner supplier and ask him to match it. Would not waste my money on stainless.

Can't help with the helicoil question. Bull Bar Cowboy is your man for that...

Helicoils are an excellent thread repair solution , and work very well on aluminium.

the kits can be bought from your local engineering supplier, you will get 10 helicoils, one tap , an insert tool and a tang remover.

all you need is the recomended drill bit to go with the kit .

Second Question, totally non-LR: I have a small outboard motor with aluminium cast housing which has a stripped M6 thread in it. Is a helicoil-type insert the way forward? if so, I've never used one before - all info welcome!

If just one thread not worth buying the kit, try a local friendly motorbike repair shop always repairing aluminium stripped threads.

Correctly done, a helicoil insert will be stronger then the standard cut thread …………and is an accepted repair in the aircraft industry.

Although at the moment you only need to repair one hole, buying a kit is a worthwhile investment for future use ……….each time I need a different size, then I buy a complete kit.

Be aware that the coils come in various lengths based on the thread diameter ……….usually the kits have 10 1.5D inserts …………….. on complex stuff like V8 head bolts threads, then you need either 2.5D or 3D to get the correct thread length engagement.

I get my kits here (local to me) ……… http://www.uni-thread.com/.....................service and price are excellent.

:)

Ian