Heater Leaks

garrycol

The heater in my freelander has a very small leak in either the matrix or the connecting pipes. It is very small - enough to smell but not enough to see or to reduce coolant levels. The carpets is not damp but when you park on a hill a drop or two of coolant will fall into the front rubber mats.

At this stage I would prefer not to pull the matrix out and as it will be heaps of work and the leak is still very small. I want to try a radiator sealant first. I am not going to use Bars Leak as it likely to clog up a lot of other things like the radiator. Years ago I used a product called Chemical Weld which is not a radiator sealant but is designed to fill small non structural head cracks but it also worked well on sealing other leaks.

Any other thoughts would be appreciated - I do realise the matrix will probably have to be replaced but would prefer it to be later.

Cheers

Garry

I have use these products on external damage to radiators and they've lasted for years without trouble.

I would try the putty's there good I carry laods of diffrant make ones when racing to use for emergency repairs.

I fixed my disco 2 when she had a 4mm hole in a thermostat hosing with it so a pinprick hole should do a perminate fix fine.

I have use these products on external damage to radiators and they've lasted for years without trouble.

I would try the putty's there good I carry laods of diffrant make ones when racing to use for emergency repairs.

I fixed my disco 2 when she had a 4mm hole in a thermostat hosing with it so a pinprick hole should do a perminate fix fine.

Thanks Jules -I considered the putty but that means getting at the matrix - too much hard work - I am lazy.

Was hoping something poured into the radiator would be less taxing and work as well - any thoughts on these products.

Cheers