QUOTE WANTED - CONVERT V8 TO DIESEL

Hi all. Well my attepmt to sell my Landie has failed so far. I just want a diesel one. So perhaps you guys can help? I wondered how much it would cost to have a V8 engine removed and install a Diesel or Td or TDi. The engine is strong, but expensive to run. Anyone?

Thanks for info/help/advice and I have a full length brownchurch roof rack I would like to part exchange for a suitable diesel engine (plus the v8 engine if anyone would want that????)

The best situation for me would be, you get the roof rack, the V8 and I give you say 5 quid and a pint, and you fit a used diesel engine, :lol: But I could stretch to a few hundred.

I also have the Landie on Ebay for 1200 buy it now. It's a 1984 3.5 V8 12 seats, could use some welding on the footwell, but passed mot in current state. And it's BLACK. It's the one in my little picture to the left.

Edit: Phone number removed by Mog.

Its not the cost of the conversion you should worry about...

Its the asylum bills for being mad enough to want a fat burner, and the ecological cost of all those little bunnies & tweetie birds coughing on the sooty smoke...

;)

You may struggle to get it done for a couple of hundred quid - you would be very lucky to find a TDi that cheap, let alone get it bolted in. You may need a new gearbox to go with it (does anyone know for sure?), so that will be extra - and you can't use a Disco/RR one in a defender without even more work.

If you like the truck and want to keep it but get a few more MPG then fitting EFi to the V8, or even buying a complete 3.5 or 3.9 EFi from a range rover is far more in-budget, even then you will struggle to get it done for a couple of hundred quid but at least it's closer.

The land rover spec V8 is very low on power compared to the RR EFi units, and a new V8 will at least bolt in with minimal work (you need a high pressure fuel pump, if it's a flapper the wiring isn't too bad, hotwire could be harder but doable).

Stretch a bit further and fit MegaSquirt and EDIS and you have a waterproof V8 that runs properly and gets decent MPG.

You may struggle to get it done for a couple of hundred quid - you would be very lucky to find a TDi that cheap, let alone get it bolted in. You may need a new gearbox to go with it (does anyone know for sure?), so that will be extra - and you can't use a Disco/RR one in a defender without even more work.

If you like the truck and want to keep it but get a few more MPG then fitting EFi to the V8, or even buying a complete 3.5 or 3.9 EFi from a range rover is far more in-budget, even then you will struggle to get it done for a couple of hundred quid but at least it's closer.

The land rover spec V8 is very low on power compared to the RR EFi units, and a new V8 will at least bolt in with minimal work (you need a high pressure fuel pump, if it's a flapper the wiring isn't too bad, hotwire could be harder but doable).

Stretch a bit further and fit MegaSquirt and EDIS and you have a waterproof V8 that runs properly and gets decent MPG.

Agree with all the above^^

But also, my LPG kit cost me £130 off ebay, second hand, but brand new = gives same mpg as a squeezal.

Don't do it you dont want to make your lovely landy all grey and dull with a dirty diesel. My suggestion would be to LPG it thats what i have on the 3.9

Well. I did it. I SOLD the thing. :(

925 squids.

Now... what to buy. I am looking at a 1994 Disco with a 2 year old Land Rover fitted turbo diesel engine. And my insurance DOUBLES!

In time, I shall aquire a nicer, newer Defender. I figured a 2 year old 5000 quid engine was worth the very cheap price he is selling the vehicle for, and he is a family friend / mechanic. So here goes nothing!