driving lights

Hi All.

Has anyone got any diagrams of how to wire up driving lights to a Defender 110? I want to mount the lights on the roof rack in a forward position, any one with any ideas would be thanked!

I know I have seen a diagram on this site some where but for the life of me I can't find it again.

Cheers for any Help.

The overide switch in the diagram allows you to turn off the lights when full beam is on as they can be quite annoying. you need a 3 way switch with a live feed, a main beam feed and a blank in place of the overide switch

Guest diesel_jim
Hi Luke

As a matter of interest does the overide switch allow you to have these lights on independent of the headlights?

I suspect not, if this is the case how do you wire up to facilitate such a set-up, please?

John

The above diagram ,the "overide" switch will stop the lights from coming on when you put on main beam.

You'll need to introduce a 12v feed between the overide switch and the relay..... so if you were to connect a switch between the +12v feed (to the right of that fuse) down to just to the right of the overide switch, that would bring them on.

neatest way is to use a 3 way switch. on my 90 i've got 2 spots on the back for reverse, and i use a dashboard light switch (the pukka LR rocker switch that used to switch from interior light/off/dash lights on early 90/110's). as this is a 3 way switch you can choose from off/auto/on

Probably worth pointing out here that roof mounted lights aren't legal on the road in the UK.

you can still wire them up like that though, or like this.

relaywiring2.jpg

Ignore the twin relay setup if you want to. the switch in the bottom left hand corner (on-off-on) means you can have the lights on independant of main beam.

Where does it say that then...

Nothing I can see in MOT, and I dont think the police would stop a car with them on....

Road Vehicles Lighting regulations 1989. (In other words, Construction and Use regs)

There is a maximum and minimum height at which the lights must be fixed to the vehicle. I'm looking for specifics. It's not an MOT requirement as you say, and not illegal to fit, but use on the road is restricted as they would be above the max height for a driving lamp (as they could be switched on with main beam.)

You're right in that it's highly unlikely that you'd be stuck on unless you were involved in an accident in which the lights / position was a factor. I've got roof lights on my own truck too, but they are separately switched. My driving lamps mounted on the front bumper are wired as previously posted.

Matt

if you look under schedule 5 for obligatory and optional main beam headlights it states there is no height restriction for them but that your only allowed two, ie the two you already have

there also doesnt seem to be any mention of "driving lamps" however fog lights are listed and must be within 1.2m of the ground

maybe im just missing something?

Thanks, anyone got any ideas for wiring routes and point of entry for the roof, as this is where I want to put the lights?

Mine are mounted on the roof rack.

I routed the wiring from the relay in the fuse box, up into the dash, over to the passenger A pillar, into the head lining and drilled a hole in the roof, near where the roofrack foot is mounted. I just filled the hole with silicone. :lol:

Bit nasty, but it probably is the only part of the roof that doesn't actually leak. :D

I'll post some photos.

Guest dew110CSW

Sorry to jack this thread a little, but it's roof light related so stick it in here.

Planning to go for a roof bar and lamps in the near future,I can get most of it from work: Relay (any idea what kind I'd need?), 55W Halogen spots, a switch (Aircraft style with red cover), and wiring, but a bar I need from somewhere. Now most I've seen mount the lights where the red box is on this picture, I want to mount them around the yellow one

1003493dn9.jpg

1. Is there a reasonable bar that does this?

2. Is it legal?

I dont want to divert the thread from its purpose etc..

However on the subject of how many and where they should be mounted.

I asked some of the guys in traffic and they were of the opinion that if they are wired into main beam, you can have as many as you like, the idea behind this is that you switch them off when oncoming traffic is approaching.

If any lights (even the standard ones) are fitted so as to dazzle thats a different matter.

I also spoke to an MOT inspector who said along the same lines..

BTW I only have standard headlights on my daily drive 110.

Diagrams previously posted are brill.

Cheers.

post-1003-1188112683_thumb.jpg

post-1003-1188112703_thumb.jpg

post-1003-1188112875_thumb.jpg

post-1003-1188112721_thumb.jpg

post-1003-1188112730_thumb.jpg

Thats great. does seem a bit drastic though to drill hole through the roof? Anyone got any more ideas. Thanks again

I had a Disco with four front facing, two side facing and two rear facing lights, As it had a snorkel fitted, it made sense to run the wires down the back of the snorkel. I also had a set of relays and fuses on a custom made board.

I also put connectors on the roof so the rack could be removed and leave wires in place.

and ...

<a href="http://" target="_blank"></a>PART II

REQUIREMENTS RELATING TO OPTIONAL MAIN-BEAM HEADLAMPS

• Any number may be fitted and the only requirements prescribed by these Regulations in respect of any which are fitted are those specified in paragraphs 7, 10 and 12(a) of Part I and, in the case of a motor vehicle first used on or after 1st April 1991, paragraph 5 of Part I.

Thats great. does seem a bit drastic though to drill hole through the roof? Anyone got any more ideas. Thanks again

I had a Disco with four front facing, two side facing and two rear facing lights, As it had a snorkel fitted, it made sense to run the wires down the back of the snorkel. I also had a set of relays and fuses on a custom made board.

I also put connectors on the roof so the rack could be removed and leave wires in place.

and ...

• Any number may be fitted and the only requirements prescribed by these Regulations in respect of any which are fitted are those specified in paragraphs 7, 10 and 12(a) of Part I and, in the case of a motor vehicle first used on or after 1st April 1991, paragraph 5 of Part I.

Thats cool! How exactly did you wire them? Fuse sizes and so?

Thats cool! How exactly did you wire them? Fuse sizes and so?

I had a metal plate which I used as the backing, then got a common connector (1 into 8) from City Electical Factors, then fuses & relays from Vehicle Wiring products.

They guys before have done fabulous drawings, so its just more of the same, I put front, side, rear, inside and a spare in at the same time. You can even get switches from VWP so all you need.

If your need any help, PM me and Ill send you my phone number, as regards fuses, there are many on this site cleverer tham me who could work it out, I just looked at what was in LR fuses and if they had a 10a for a headlight then I did same etc..

and ...

When you say that you routed the wiring down the back of the snorkel, did you mean internally through the snorkel?

When you say that you routed the wiring down the back of the snorkel, did you mean internally through the snorkel?

No not inside the snorkel.... I worked for a while in the racing car world and there is a pneumatic pipe called decabon http://www.lister.co.uk/ecommerce/response...sport&id=12 ask for Andy Berry. This is aluminum tube with black plastic casing and is hand maliable (you can bend it and it stays).

This was run down the external surface of the snorkel, and tie wrapped in between it and the windscreen. This meant no holes in the roof!

post-1003-1188234567_thumb.jpgpost-1003-1188234629_thumb.jpg