Car Security

gav-

I am soon to be pickuping a disco, so itll mean someting to me afterwards and I dont want it getting nicked. Itll be parked on my driveway and people will be able to see it, my racer is in the garage.

Itll have a immobilser on it, But my question is what else can be done? Dont want to go to the extent of removing wheels etc. Its a 200tdi.

Concentrated Hydrochloric Acid spray nozzles built into the sun visors. These are linked to a 5 minute timer which activates via a pressure switch in the seat cushion.

Is this a little harsh ?

Not in comparison to being caught by me in the act of stealing the car :angry: :angry:

Serious mode on :-

Get a tracker fitted, then at least you will get the car back. In my experience, if they want to steal it, they will, no matter how much you spend on security.

A mate of mine suggested this trick that car dealers use:

After switching off the engine, pump the brakes until the pedal goes hard (just the pedal, nothing else....), which apparently locks the brakes on all 4 wheels until the engine is started and the servo releases its pressure on the calipers.

Coupled with an immobiliser switch, the car would be almost impossible to move.

big dog, baseball bat/firearm, line locks, nobble switch for shut off valve (cranks but wont start), make it look like its knackered and not worth nicking, hidden fuel tap on the feed line (stops just round the corner), ice hockey mask and a chainsaw helps as well. :)

as Adrian said though - if they really want it, its gone.

After switching off the engine, pump the brakes until the pedal goes hard (just the pedal, nothing else....), which apparently locks the brakes on all 4 wheels until the engine is started and the servo releases its pressure on the calipers.

That is only true for air operated brakes as used on HGV's, with no air, then the brakes are locked on....................... servo control on normal hydraulically operated brakes is there only to reduce the pedal effort ............. pumping out the vacuum to a hard pedal still fully releases the brakes when the pedal is not pressed.

:)

Ian

Fuel shut off switch, just after the filter. They'll have enough fuel to start it, and move it into the road. But then the whole thing will need re-bleeding.

Is this possible on a TD5 seeing as its comparatiely high pressure as opposed to a 200tdi system?

An oily haynes manual open on the serious engine problems page on the passenger seat does the trick for me....

Seriously though...there isn't any real way of totally locking a 200 tdi - most engine immobilisation can be easily by-passed, even these clutch locking devices fail if your thief is a good enough driver.

Make it as inconveniant to steal as possible - steering wheel locks are generally good - PITA to remove and visible.

Fit a meck lock as sold by Kev Baldwin from Mudstuff.

http://www.mudstuff.co.uk/Meck_Lock.html

It is fitted into the clutch hydraulic line and when the key is removed the clutch is inoperable.

They also do a dual device that allows you to fit to the brakes as well.

If the key is removed and the foot brakes applied they stay locked on.

So if a thief gets the engine running they will have to crash through the gears to move.

When they hit the brakes thats as far as they go.

Plus a battery imobiliser further frustrates drive away theft.

I recommend one of these - http://www.power-store.com/view-item.asp?i...amp;id=191&

Which can be locked in the off position with a padlock and handle the following loads -

Voltage: 12, 24, 32 & 48V DC

Continuous Rating: 400A

Intermittant Rating: 525A

Cranking Rating: 1500A

Terminal size: 3/8" (10mm)

You can switch to battery 1 or battery 2 or both on or both off.

All for £40 inc VAT

John

right i am getting the idea.

i can easily put a lockable isolation valve in the clutch line, a fuel cut out switch, a battery isolator, an immobilser, a switched alarm, and a steering wheel lock. May be a pain in the arse to do but its not my main car.

I was even thinking i could put a bar across the pedals rather than put a valve in the clutch.

The reason i ask this is that the car has already stolen once and luckily only 5 miles up the road with just a damaged ignition barrel

Take out good insurance and hope - if someone wants it they'll take it no matter how locked it is. There's not much you can't spirit away with a low-loader and long-reach hiab :rolleyes:

IMHO those anti-theft devices take up more of your time fitting/enabling/disabling/undoing them than they do for the thieving scum to get round.