2001 TDI Defender...

Last one for tonight, I promise!!

We had a 2001 90 delivered to work today from a well known national hire company. The thing thats confused me is its a TDI... I thought the only TDI's manufactured after 1999 were for export only? surely this cant have sat from 1999 until 2001 before being registered???

Any thoughts?

Ross

There are loads of hire cars (Defenders) at my place of work on a weekly basis. We had a nice 07 plate Defender T/C come in the other day. Went for a nosey to see what it was like inside and it was a TD5.

Back in 93, when I worked on motoring magazines, I remember a colleague finding a new, unregistered '81 SIII 109 V8 CSW while mystery shopping a dealer. I don't know what became of it, but if bought at the time it would have been on a 93K!

We also ran a few stories about huge stockpiles of new, unregistered cars that were parked on disused airfields around the country as there were no buyers for them. Some of the cars, of all makes and models, had been there for years.

Last one for tonight, I promise!!

We had a 2001 90 delivered to work today from a well known national hire company. The thing thats confused me is its a TDI... I thought the only TDI's manufactured after 1999 were for export only? surely this cant have sat from 1999 until 2001 before being registered???

Any thoughts?

Ross

They are supposed to be, and shouldn't have type approval in the EU after 1999 but I guess somebody found a loophole somewhere :)

What's the VIN number? from that I can tell you if it is an old stock vehicle or a genuinely 1999 onwards Tdi...