OT: pumping kero with a diesel pump

BogMonster

Need to find a pump (electric) for pumping kerosene out of 208L drums to our heating tank as the fuel company won't deliver to the other half's house seeing as it is off road and their tanker would get bogged :lol:

I have a small submersible 12V electric pump which is a few years old but I am pretty sure was designed for pumping diesel and water... I wouldn't dream of dunking it in petrol due to the volatility but what about kerosene? I'm not sure what the volatility of kerosene fumes is like, obviously more than diesel but much much less than petrol.

At the moment we are using a hand operated drum pump but the novelty is wearing off real quick and I want something I can pop onto a 12V battery and let it take the strain ;)

Ah ok - I didn't know that, ta :) always assumed it was because the "protection level" in the motor was not enough or something and so in the event of pump failure it could spark and kaboom :o

Mind you, some LR fuel senders have open wiring/connectors in the fuel level sender inside the tank, which I always thought was a bit of a dumb idea :huh:

Mind you, some LR fuel senders have open wiring/connectors in the fuel level sender inside the tank, which I always thought was a bit of a dumb idea :huh:

Well, actually not. There must be a quite exact proportion of oxygen to make it go up in flames. There is way too much fuel vapours and too little air in the tank. Luckily... :rolleyes:

Well, actually not. There must be a quite exact proportion of oxygen to make it go up in flames. There is way too much fuel vapours and too little air in the tank. Luckily... :rolleyes:

That is... until the mixture reaches the right consistency... :ph34r:

Hmmm not sure about that surely a rich mixture is more flammable? :unsure: not going to experiment anyway :blink:

Tony I have a drill pump too (Draper one I think) but mine is fairly low output and I need to pump 200L of fuel about every 3rd weekend so really looking for something I can drop in the drum and leave, also on my drill pump the suction is cr^p. You can buy drum pump kits but it seems only with a full forecourt type nozzle etc etc and for way over £100.

I suppose I could "Bennify" the hand pump by fitting a little electric motor and chain drive to it :)

i use a diesel transfer pump from sealey at work it will pump approx 90 gallon in about 8 minutes i think it was about 100 quid not cheap but i use it almost every other day i have used it at my cousins to empty her heating oil kerosene tank no probs sealey do state its not for petroleum based products but worth the money although my employer bought it for filling tracked excavator also includes a petrol station style trigger i run it from a jumpstart pack or 2 clips direct on machines batery chris

BM, I've always used petrol fuel pumps to transfer heating oil or kero, never had any problems. Any diseasel transfer pump would work fine.

Why be paranoid about kero, if you run Land Rover EFi then your high pressure fuel pump is open to the petrol it pumps from the tank, the power terminals are exposed as well.

jw

BM, I've always used petrol fuel pumps to transfer heating oil or kero, never had any problems. Any diseasel transfer pump would work fine.

Why be paranoid about kero, if you run Land Rover EFi then your high pressure fuel pump is open to the petrol it pumps from the tank, the power terminals are exposed as well.

Cheers - just always paranoid about things like that, visions of filling in insurance claim forms with "Well I knew it was a silly thing to do but I did it anyway" :blink::lol:

Never been happy about the wiring in my fuel tank, it near gave me a heart attack when I first saw what I had been driving round on!

Hi Bogmonster,

I use an old petrol EFI pump ( off a granada iirc but opel/vauxhall also used to have the efi pump out of the tank) and it pumps petrol and diesel fine 1/2" pipes in and out allow full flow so a jerry canfull is about 3min.

just to add I've also got a small Jabsco pump which copes fine with oil/water/diesel too and that sort of thing might be easier for you to put your hands on......

cheers

Steveb