front diff

parareguk

hi today at whaddon i think i have knackerd the front diff....when the fairy drive is in 4x4 it is banging on every half turn of the wheel as well as feeling tight ?? when in 2 wheel drive it makes no sound an coasts fine

any advise on what may of happend or what i can do to fix/ recon parts etc will be greatfully recived

many thanks folks :unsure:

hi today at whaddon i think i have knackerd the front diff....when the fairy drive is in 4x4 it is banging on every half turn of the wheel as well as feeling tight ?? when in 2 wheel drive it makes no sound an coasts fine

any advise on what may of happend or what i can do to fix/ recon parts etc will be greatfully recived

many thanks folks :unsure:

It sounds like some teeth off the crownwheel. BTW it is the transfercase that gives 2 and 4 wheel drive, not the Fairey overdrive. That has a different function altogether. Just throw in a good second hand diff complete. They must be worth all of 20P each over there.

Welcome to the forum BTW.

Bill.

When you say "Fairey drive" do you mean free-wheeling hubs or the transfer box, or the Fairey Overdrive?

As Bill said, it is the transfer box (yellow & red knobs) that give you 4x4.

Free wheeling hubs (variously made by Fairey, AVM, etc.) disconnect the front driveshafts from the hubs. This means none of the front driveline (prop shaft, diff, half-shafts, UJ's) turns when in 2wd.

A Fairey Overdrive raises your gearing. If fitted, it's usually a black knob.

A 2nd hand diff should cost you no more than £40 max, any Series one from a Rover axle should do. You need to pull the swivels off the axle to change it, but it's a nuts-n-bolts job - some instant gasket goo is the only other thing you need unless you knacker any nuts trying to undo them. From memory they are 9/16".

i really wish diffs would cost only that, over here! :(

Take a train and fettch one. Carry it around your shoulder using a cargo strap. Tie a red rag around your head, tear off your sleeves and tell people : I'll be back!

By the way, how much for a new diff where you are. I paid approx. 350 pounds for mine.(secondhand )

It sounds like some teeth off the crownwheel. BTW it is the transfercase that gives 2 and 4 wheel drive, not the Fairey overdrive. That has a different function altogether. Just throw in a good second hand diff complete. They must be worth all of 20P each over there.

Welcome to the forum BTW.

Bill.

Definitely sounds like crown wheel lost some teeth. Do you have a Rover front diff? If so , it will probably happen again. Bill tel him about pegging the diff. Also I suggest you read the other recent posts about front diffs failing. It will give you some background on a common problem and possible solutions that have allready been discussed. Some people believe in pegging the diff while I believe in Salisbury axles. Alternatively find an ENV which I have not had any problems with. Does anybody have pics of the diff pegging procedure? Does it really work? How accurate do you have to be? Do you need to set the peg regularly?

I pegged the diffs on my old 6x6 about 25 years ago and still kept blowing them up on the rearmost axle at the same rate. but that vehicle could generate a tremendous amount of torque at the propshafts, and there is only so much one can do with a sows ear. Pegging can make a difference to crownwheel deflection on any diff, particularly a marginal one like a Rover type.

It is worth doing if you don't intend to fit any of the higher strength alternatives. There is probably a thread on the process in the tech archives.

Bill.

I can post you one but it might cost a bit more to send ;)

thanks, Fridge, but i guess the postage cost would be more than the diff :P

i may go to the UK in november (by car), so some parts will definatelly be on the shopping list

Take a train and fettch one. Carry it around your shoulder using a cargo strap. Tie a red rag around your head, tear off your sleeves and tell people : I'll be back!

By the way, how much for a new diff where you are. I paid approx. 350 pounds for mine.(secondhand )

a 2nd hand one goes from 150eur/200eur up (just the diff). a new one over here, is not easy to find (at least, at the usual places) because it costs much more than a used, good condition, diff and nobody buys it