Fuel solenoid

I am still puzzling how to wire up FIA battery isolator.

Where am I likely to be able to intercept the fuel solenoid wire in order to fix it up into the switch?

Is it the brown cable that runs direct from the battery parallel to the main red cable? I haven't quite fathomed out what it is yet!

Also how am I best attaching ring terminals to battery cable if I do not have a monster crimping tool? If I put my tiny soldering iron next to the cable I think the poor thing is not up to the job!!

I think I have worked out all the other bits now so these are the last pieces of the puzzle.

Thanks

Malcy

The fuel solenoid wire is un-missable, its the only wire connected to the fuel pump.

You probably want to find a grown-up to crimp your main battery cable. sticking it in a vice won't do. you could fill the lug full of solder and use a blow lamp, or make a crimping tool to fit in a vice, as i did, but it's probably easier to find someone with the proper ratchet hex crimping tool (which is £££ to buy)

The fuel solenoid wire is un-missable, its the only wire connected to the fuel pump.

You probably want to find a grown-up to crimp your main battery cable. sticking it in a vice won't do. you could fill the lug full of solder and use a blow lamp, or make a crimping tool to fit in a vice, as i did, but it's probably easier to find someone with the proper ratchet hex crimping tool (which is £££ to buy)

Crimp tools or more acurately lugging tools when used at this size / scale can very often be borrowed or hired from your local electrical wholesaler. It's always worth asking for a freebie, especially if you can take your vehicle to them, buy the crimps / lugs from them and then assemble them in the car park so you're not taking it away from potential paying customers.

Glue

Thanks

So I run a double extension from the fuel solenoid cable back through the bulkhead across the FIA isolator switch? Just double checking.

Sounds like I need to start scouting around regarding the battery cable crimps before I start the job! Thanks for the warning. I currently only have a relatively little vice anyway so not sure that would help.

Oh well, it will get fitted eventually!!

Malcy

Looking at wiring diagram (it is pitch black outside) the fuel solenoid would appear to be a white/blue cable that I need to extend. Can anyone give me an idea of what sort of thickness cable I should get so that I can keep wiring colour integrity but not risk overheating it? I suspect it is not huge current but have made assumptions before :ph34r:

Thanks

Pardon me for evenually being thick here, but why do you want a separate cable for the solenoid? If your switch kills the electrics on the battery cable, the solenoid will be killed along with everything else. :blink:

Or does it still get juice from the alternator even if the battery connection is broken? :huh: Well, I don't know...

If that's the case, wire in a small relay where the mains connection is taken from the battery. Like this, in Bosch numbering:

30 +battery

85 - earth

86 ignition switch

87 solenoid

That way the relay will close when ignition is on, but lose it's power when the FIA switch is off.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, it has happened from time to time... ;):)

The FIA switch includes seperate NC and NO poles for disconnecting the fuel solenoid (or coil) from the alternator whilst also putting a load (ballast) across the alternator as it spins down, to prevent damaging it.

I wouldn't wire in a 30A relay anywhere in the main battery feed, which carries hundreds of amps when the engine is being cranked.