Wolf XD info

Aragorn

Hi guys, a little help would be appreciated

i was at a show at the weekend and managed to aquire a brand new rear quarter panel for my 90 rather cheap (£15) its got the original LR sticker on it and it still in its black base coat

it seems that its actually from a wolf XD from the part number and im wondering if its a suitable replacement for my exisiting tub?

theres a few extra holes in the sides which would obviously need filled in but im more worried about it fitting structurally and the rear end

it seems to have 4 light holes, one at the top corner where the sidelight usually goes which is a very large round hole, one at the bottom left corner (normally indicator) which is also a large round hole, then another two next to that one parallel with the xmember which are smaller holes and have two very small holes beside it, perhaps for screws or something.

I think the XD's must have had NAS style lights which may explain the two large holes but im unsure about the other two and wether it will actually fit, ie is the tailgate etc the same and the flanges where it meets the tub bulkhead and the tub floor. i dont wanna spend hours drilling out rivets to find out its useless!

cheers

Kevin

Have to think carefully here. Not all the lights on the back are NAS style. Some are the old 1's. As for size and shape it should fit. I can check in work today for the lights setup if you want.

lol ok thats a little more confusing as the two that are normal on that pic have big holes on the panel and the two that are NAS style have small holes!

i think its most likly possible to fit, just need to think how i can fill the holes that are in the panel, dont fancy paying someone to weld it, perhaps if i fibreglass over the rear of the holes i can then fill it smooth before painting?

any ideas :)

Someone must know what the deal is here?

The holes on my panel that line up with the NAS lamps on that image are smaller than the holes for the normal style lamps, yet the normal style lamps are smaller than the nas ones?

do the normal lights clip into place or something instead of screwing on??

the smaller rear lights are held by 2 long screws & the bulb holder is accessed from behind the panel or by removing the 2 screws, the larger NAS type lights are held by 2 scews & the black plinth is held by 3 screws IIRC again the bulb holder is accessed from behind, note the indicator (2 pin connector)& tail/brake (3 pin connector) bulb holders are different But common to both types of light unit.

When I fitted my NAS lights I used the captive bit of the plinth. It's moulded in and the head of the bolt is held very solidly. Can't remember the size of bolt though. Sorry

I've had a closer look and engaged my brain and i see what the problem is

the body cappings go round the light holes on the outside that are large, and i guess they will make the holes smaller??

there seems top be random holes along the sides of the panel under the capping possibly for some kinda ties? and there are a few holes further down one has a large hole and three smaller ones perhaps for a rollcage or something?

I dunno if u can make it out in the pics?

post-1235-1188657428_thumb.jpg

post-1235-1188657457_thumb.jpg

The big holes appear to be clearance holes for the rear lights. When the corner capping goes on, civvy ones are fine, the holes is smaller. The big hole just gives a bit of flexibility with positioning.

The NAS light plinths bolt through with fixed M5 studs (8mm nuts) on the plinths.

Mo

Guest diesel_jim

The "random" holes along the side.....

the ones nearest the top (where the body capping will go) are for canvas roof cleats.

the 4 holes just towards the rear of the wheelarch are for the NATO side antenna mounting bracket.

and the holes on the back for the canvas rope retaining catches (not sure what their proper name is) but they look like a little ratchet thing, puill the rope through and it locks onto it.

other holes are for the strap "staples" for holding the back of the canvas down. (i say canvas.... Wolf's don't use "canvas", it's plastic sheet stuff)

The "random" holes along the side.....

the ones nearest the top (where the body capping will go) are for canvas roof cleats.

the 4 holes just towards the rear of the wheelarch are for the NATO side antenna mounting bracket.

and the holes on the back for the canvas rope retaining catches (not sure what their proper name is) but they look like a little ratchet thing, puill the rope through and it locks onto it.

other holes are for the strap "staples" for holding the back of the canvas down. (i say canvas.... Wolf's don't use "canvas", it's plastic sheet stuff)

Cam cleats ;)

Guest diesel_jim
Cam cleats

That's the buggers!

post-130-1188764353_thumb.jpg

any ideas on the best way to fill them?

you think fibreglass on the inside and a skim of bodyfiller over the holes will last?

Pop rivets? won't fall out. or if you know someone who can aluminium weld (If you're close to Allisport in Gloucester, i know Andy is quite partial to a 4 pack of fermented fizzy hop drink) get them to fill the holes in then rub/file/grind the welds down flush.

hmm i could pop rivet some of the holes but others are a bit too large. I'm in edinburgh so miles from allisport :P but i guess i could have a look around here to see if theres any decent ally welders.

My brother got somewhere in edinburgh to weld up a crack on an alloy cylinder head so i'd imagine that place must be pretty good. I think i might try there !