Forum members banned.

Les Henson

As is the policy of this website, important information concerning it is freely available to all members.

This evening, member MJG and DEW110CSW were both banned by myself. For too long this webiste has become the drain for any L/R owner (or not) that wants to post any old carp they feel someone may or may not be interested in. The original idea of this site was to provide a home for those of us that have the knowledge (or need of it), from like-minded individuals. Techinical help is what we are here for, and those that contaminate the website with any old drivel has become intolerable. More and more this site has become a second home for those that aren't tolerated on other websites, and allowing them to post freely on here has damaged it. I make no apology for the two members that are banned - they richly deserved it. For those of you that appreciate this site and why it is here, then I'm sure you will understand.

Les.

Les,

Its always a tough call ………………..I certainly appreciate your (and the other mods) honesty and being ‘up front’ by posting the info together with the reasons ……………. I hope this policy will continue as it provides clarity……………

Good call…………..

:)

Ian

Fair play Les. It's easy to make decisions and just put them in place. But takes some courage to stand up and be counted by announcing them. Do we (now I mean you) have measures in place so that they just don't register under a new name? If you don't want to make that info public I will understand.

You have my support Les.

I totally agree with the comments you have made regarding the reasons for this forums existance, and your reasons for banning those who abuse it.

LR4x4 has been, and will hopefully continue to be, an invaluable source of information to people like myself. - an incurable Land Rover nut.

I am sure you are right Les.

I do feel thought that the International Forum has gone a bit dead from the strict OT rule.

My feelings have always been that technical stuff is dealt with in the vehicle specific forums. This is always a bit awkward with Land-Rovers as there is such a massive overlap in vehicle parts throughout the range and its much easier for us to just read the one forum. I am as guilty as anyone of this as I post almost all tech stuff in the Int forum as I know someone will answer quickly. Maybe there is a call for 'Engine/Drivetrain/Suspension forums as well...

I think the International forum should be treated as a sounding post for like minded people and OT topics should be tolerated. Most topics soon drop off the radar if nobody is interested and maybe when they get to P3 the mods can just delete them to keep storage down.

I know it gets annoying when people turn every thread into a conversation thats completely off the thread topic. Thats when the Mods have to be strict and say STOP IT.

I hope the int forum can keep a balance of OT topics as some have given me genuine KFC moments (Keyboard Fulla Coffee) :)

Will :)

I think the International forum should be treated as a sounding post for like minded people and OT topics should be tolerated. Most topics soon drop off the radar if nobody is interested and maybe when they get to P3 the mods can just delete them to keep storage down.

I think the issue here is getting the balance right though. I also find that posting a 'tech' question in the international forum often gets a quicker / better response (in terms of quantity anyway) but this may be due to someone only reading their own make forum rather than all - I know I read all the Defender forum but very rarely read the Disco forum even though I may be able to offer constructive comments on a question (stop laughing Les).

OT stuff is often ok in my book - some news item or joke for example or sounding other people out on a non-LR issue. The prob is when that becomes 80% rather than the 20% of the content.

These days ORRP has very little LR content at all in Anything Goes - that wouldn't work here.

I think the issue here is getting the balance right though. I also find that posting a 'tech' question in the international forum often gets a quicker / better response (in terms of quantity anyway) but this may be due to someone only reading their own make forum rather than all - I know I read all the Defender forum but very rarely read the Disco forum even though I may be able to offer constructive comments on a question (stop laughing Les).

OT stuff is often ok in my book - some news item or joke for example or sounding other people out on a non-LR issue. The prob is when that becomes 80% rather than the 20% of the content.

These days ORRP has very little LR content at all in Anything Goes - that wouldn't work here.

Quite. I rarely look at ORRP nowadays, I can't keep up.

Will :)

We've discussed a chicken shed forum a couple of times in the A&M forum Bill. So far it has met with an almost unanimous thumbs down - mostly because it would in all probability degenerate. There are people that really have nothing better to do than infest these types of forums and would undoubtedly dominate it with all sorts of carp. I think this would bleed over into the other forums as well - making things even worse than they sometimes are on here anyway. Perhaps people 'qualifying' to use this type of forum might be an idea. Moderating it would be very difficult, as what is and is not allowed would be awkward.

Les.

thanks for explaining les, the mods actions are understood and you certainly have thought about it.

i think we have a nice balance at the moment of O/T stuff- i don't think we should aim to have none but neither do we want to end up like ORRP. We seem to have a nice balance at the mo, and the mods and admins should be applauded for that.

I don't think that many realise just how much discussion and debate often takes place in the A&M section on matters such as this and similar.

Anyway...

I really would like to see and encourage folks make more use of the specific sections for queries rather than posting in the Int'l hoping for a faster response.

Perhaps people 'qualifying' to use this type of forum might be an idea. Moderating it would be very difficult, as what is and is not allowed would be awkward.
Sounds like a good idea to me. The International forum used to be an entertaining read, but recently it's been... much less of a distraction when I'm at work ;)

I'd suggest that if entry was by invitation then such a (possibly hidden?) forum shouldn't be too much of a nightmare to moderate, and if a moron did slip through then the invitation could always be withdrawn.

Sounds like a good idea to me. The International forum used to be an entertaining read, but recently it's been... much less of a distraction when I'm at work ;)

I'd suggest that if entry was by invitation then such a (possibly hidden?) forum shouldn't be too much of a nightmare to moderate, and if a moron did slip through then the invitation could always be withdrawn.

Now I certainly dont agree with invitation only, the boys clubs suck, whats the initiation creaming a digestive biscuit??

Nothing more vain than a self confesed elitest.

Odds on we wouldnt have had the valued input of Bill Van Snorkle on invitation only, he out on a limb!

Who would invite me? A northern draftsman with a sh**ty range rover? - ok got me coat before les gives it to me!

Invitation only is wrong

Whilst I agree on the no O/T, sometimes it could serve real purpose. I for one recently posted an O/T showing off a new PC networking device I found, ok, it got dropped like a stone, but at the same time, it could have been exactly what somebody was looking for.

Difficult.

Personally I'd hate to see an invite only format

how would you know if the next new member was a Brook Green or Joe Chimp? all are valued for input regardless of qualification or the forum would become stale and degenerate

I like it the way it is, cross section of society, cross section of interests, some to agree with and some to disagree with - lifes more fun like that IMO

I don't think that many realise just how much discussion and debate often takes place in the A&M section on matters such as this and similar.

Anyway...

I really would like to see and encourage folks make more use of the specific sections for queries rather than posting in the Int'l hoping for a faster response.

To show willing could you not post up a snapshot of thread titles from your forum to give us an idea of what you discuss there. I for 1 am interested in a strange way. Not the content just the titles. Unless it is all rude and not for public consumption ;) ;)

To show willing could you not post up a snapshot of thread titles from your forum to give us an idea of what you discuss there.

I believe it is right for the mods to have a completely private area to discuss issues with members. If the mods have to be careful what they put into this area, then this can restrict the discussion. From what I have seen this is a well moderated forum ( not too visible presence, but definitely there).

I think it would be best for the majority if this private forum stays private to keep this forum working as well as it is.

I wasn't expecting to see all of what they do in there. As you say they have the right to have a separate chat room but I'm just interested in what they have to say and discuss. I can see the need to keep the content of the tread hidden but they could show a few thread titles to give us an insight to what they do with the Gin Fund ;) ;) .

Is it true all moderators are driving brand new RRS? :D :D :D

Is it true all moderators are driving brand new RRS? :D:D:D

Indeed it is true, but we keep them well hidden - mine looks an awful lot like a rusty 16 year old 200TDI Discovery ..... :P :P

Sad to admit it, but I agree with Mr Beast :blink::o .

Yes, this is a LR based forum, but none of our lives are devoid of other interests and issues (well, except for Les and RT of course!! :lol: ).

The great aspect of this forum is the feeling of belonging and of (sick bag to the ready) community. I honestly believe that we wouldn't have that kind of atmosphere if all we posted about was thread pitch and sump capacity.

I think the balance of on and off topic threads is fine. Sometimes it is all tech, at other times mostly off topic but I don't have a problem with that. As has been said, the Moderators have done well to date to "encourage" those who stray too far / frequently from on topic to return to the fold. As has also been said, when those that have been asked have not, they have been banned. No problem with that either.

Invite only clubs are not welcome, nor are a dozen new Forums. I think posting a tech question in the International Forum is valid if you are desperate for help. Otherwise, use the relevant sub forums.

I say let sleeping dogs lie. This Forum is excellent and does not need changing.

More posting in the specific forums is a good idea and to be encouraged - but for example if you have an engine or gearbox question it could be Defender, RR, Disco - so I tend to post things that cover more than one in the international forum. I would guess that is as it should be.

Members' club is a bad idea IMHO.

To show willing could you not post up a snapshot of thread titles from your forum to give us an idea of what you discuss there. I for 1 am interested in a strange way. Not the content just the titles. Unless it is all rude and not for public consumption ;) ;)

OK, though it isn't very exciting...

Two pinned posts at the top with "housekeeping info" about a test user and the forum bank account

One thread at the top that has been moved there while it is "under discussion" as to whether it should be allowed or not

Next thread is on the subject of OT posts and the vapid clucking of a small minority of users and whether or not those users need to be stamped on to prevent this forum becoming like some others

Next four cover users that are currently being a PITA, some of which might be mentioned earlier in this thread

A few "housekeeping" threads about moving or merging similar posts/threads

one about forum funding

one about whether or not we had been hacked (also posted on Intl forum in much the same form)

one about somebody going away on holiday (i.e. "keep an eye on my forum please")

one about whether or not we need a separate forum for something or other

etc etc

that gives you a pretty good idea without being too specific ;)