Forum members banned.

Les Henson

Cheers. That was all I was after. Just a quick insite as to what the the chosen few do. Apart from driving RRS ;) ;) ;) . Mark has already let it slip you have 1 :D :D

Now I certainly dont agree with invitation only, the boys clubs suck, whats the initiation creaming a digestive biscuit??

Nothing more vain than a self confesed elitest.

I personally agree totally (well - except the biscuit bit! :unsure: )

Same for all is by far the best idea.

The gin fund is controlled by Whitey :lol: , so any questions regarding it should be directed to him via pm. Geoff Beaumont checks the books (well, one particular set of them anyway ;) ) each year. We've managed to fool him thus far :ph34r:

Les.

Sad to admit it, but I agree with Mr Beast :blink::o .

Yes, this is a LR based forum, but none of our lives are devoid of other interests and issues (well, except for Les and RT of course!! :lol: ).

The great aspect of this forum is the feeling of belonging and of (sick bag to the ready) community. I honestly believe that we wouldn't have that kind of atmosphere if all we posted about was thread pitch and sump capacity.

I think the balance of on and off topic threads is fine. Sometimes it is all tech, at other times mostly off topic but I don't have a problem with that. As has been said, the Moderators have done well to date to "encourage" those who stray too far / frequently from on topic to return to the fold. As has also been said, when those that have been asked have not, they have been banned. No problem with that either.

Invite only clubs are not welcome, nor are a dozen new Forums. I think posting a tech question in the International Forum is valid if you are desperate for help. Otherwise, use the relevant sub forums.

I say let sleeping dogs lie. This Forum is excellent and does not need changing.

Hear Hear *applause*

LR4x4 is a unique forum in that it's restricting itself to technical discussion without the surplus chat adornment of other forums.

For me, ORRP isn't worth my time. The smut is amusing but it's too rich for even my tastes. Can't knock its popularity though!

I do subscribe to one other forum (any more and I'll have even less of a life than I do now) which I do post far more frequently on. However, my contributions are general, valueless dribble (my admission) in most cases, but it's a break from work and is fun.

The types of forums which permit this kind of discussion are in the majority - no bad thing really. I do get frustrated with the International Forum content. Having a wider topic allowance may bring in more members and more funding, but it's a subjective view and the increased costs of bandwidth may offset the voluntary financial rewards.

But it is good to have a focused forum where one is assured of no frivoloties. It makes a change.

I credit LR4x4 for standing their guns and restricting OT chat - I'm as guilty as the next person of wandering off topic, but I try not to do this as I hear Les may take revenge and remove all the lovely-smelling cleaning fluid from my 110's floor mats and replace it with dirt and mud. :ph34r:

Invite only areas? Should that ever arise, then what little I do contribute here will stop immediately. Glad most agree that it's not the way forward.

There! That's hardly said anything that the rest of you haven't.

As they said ^^ stay as we are with a good balance of involute spiral pressure angle tech and "My computer's bust". Indeed the latter rescued SWMBO's laptop and bought me another 12 months of forum time on her ISDN connection because of the undeniable improvement that LR4x4 has brought to her life.

Carry on in the same vein please. So long as people are warned before they are banned and we don't reach a totalitarian state, it's fair. And don't ban me if I'm annoying, PM me instead.

As is the policy of this website, important information concerning it is freely available to all members.

This evening, member MJG and DEW110CSW were both banned by myself. For too long this webiste has become the drain for any L/R owner (or not) that wants to post any old carp they feel someone may or may not be interested in. The original idea of this site was to provide a home for those of us that have the knowledge (or need of it), from like-minded individuals. Techinical help is what we are here for, and those that contaminate the website with any old drivel has become intolerable. More and more this site has become a second home for those that aren't tolerated on other websites, and allowing them to post freely on here has damaged it. I make no apology for the two members that are banned - they richly deserved it. For those of you that appreciate this site and why it is here, then I'm sure you will understand.

Les.

All I can add is "Well Done" I know that the one of them was banned from 2 other forum in the past for the same thing.

Paul

Sad to admit it, but I agree with Mr Beast :blink::o .

Yes, this is a LR based forum, but none of our lives are devoid of other interests and issues (well, except for Les and RT of course!! :lol: ).

The great aspect of this forum is the feeling of belonging and of (sick bag to the ready) community. I honestly believe that we wouldn't have that kind of atmosphere if all we posted about was thread pitch and sump capacity.

I think the balance of on and off topic threads is fine. Sometimes it is all tech, at other times mostly off topic but I don't have a problem with that. As has been said, the Moderators have done well to date to "encourage" those who stray too far / frequently from on topic to return to the fold. As has also been said, when those that have been asked have not, they have been banned. No problem with that either.

Invite only clubs are not welcome, nor are a dozen new Forums. I think posting a tech question in the International Forum is valid if you are desperate for help. Otherwise, use the relevant sub forums.

I say let sleeping dogs lie. This Forum is excellent and does not need changing.

I'm with Bish, Will and the bearded one on this matter. Always a tricky call, situations like this but is necessary to keep our forum as it is. Good call chaps.

Mo

Do we (now I mean you) have measures in place so that they just don't register under a new name?

I wouldn't worry about it. It'll be pretty obvious who it is from his inane twaddle. You can't hide from your own stupidity, even if you change your name... :blink:

I met dew110csw once, I invited him on days green laining, He caught up with our group on the M6 as planned we all then pulled of the Mway and parked in a lay-by while we sorted a final route he got out of his 110 walked over to us all, bearing in mind he is 18 and never been off road before we are all in our 30's , his opening line was, I was a bit worried about getting stuck till I saw that shed!!! then started to tell us all what was wrong with our vehicles, A bemused group then said ok time time to start lets get cracking he told us we had to go to a petrol station first as he was empty, who turns up for a day laning with out any fuel? dont bother mate was the reply

The problem this time wasn't so much OT as crass and/or downright rude drivel.

OT is a bit of a double edged sword - a little helps to build a strong community, too much drowns out all the useful content and bores everyone with anything worth saying to tears. The problem is that is very hard to come up with a simple, clear cut rule about exactly what and how much OT posting to allow, so it inevitably has to come down the mods' judgement of when to reign things in. We're human, so sometimes we'll be too severe, sometimes too lax, but we try to keep a decent balance. The general rules we apply are if there's as much OT as on topic in a forum, or it's getting cliquey or offensive then it's time to get the pointy stick out.

The gin fund is controlled by Whitey :lol: , so any questions regarding it should be directed to him via pm. Geoff Beaumont checks the books (well, one particular set of them anyway ;) ) each year. We've managed to fool him thus far :ph34r:

No deception necessary.

I take bribes.... ;)