P38 - strange immobiliser problem

chrisst2

Hi

I have had 3 occasions recently where the engine power suddenly dies out and the immobiliser light shows on the dash, on all 3 occasions I have been when on the M27 east bound approx 1 mile before the Rownhams services , it cuts out for about 15 seconds then runs ok . All 3 times have been at approx the same place, and with differnet durations and distances and speed of driving before hitting that spot , I never get the problem anywhere else .

Does anyone know if the immobiliser can be affected by radio signals , magnetic fields or something like that ?

Can I do anything to stop it (other than avoid that part of the M27 !!) as it is pretty dangerous going in the outside lane and then having to try and cut into the hard shoulder.

many thanks for any insight

Chris

Does anyone know if the immobiliser can be affected by radio signals , magnetic fields or something like that ?

In short - yes they can.

There was a case (or a few IIRC) where cars wouldn't start on petrol station forecourts - push them a few feet out of range and everything was ok. I can't remember the details of what caused the signal problem but I'm sure someone on here can.

• 1 month later...

What I think JSG is referring to is the antenna for the central locking.

There have been several updates to narrow the band width within

which this receives.

The most common problem is that the battery will be drained over a period of time

when the car is parked, and the ECU is constantly woken up by errant signals.

Maybe if the signal is strong enough it could cause the vehicle to feel threatened

whilst is is moving.

You could try talking to the Highways Agency (or whoever) to try and find out what is transmitting in that area.