Where to find a guide

pugwash

My knowledge of creating threads/holes in/on metal is non existant.

does anyone know of a very basic guide to using helicoils and taps and dies?

It needs to be so simple that it explains how to go about selecting the right tool and worknig out what thread you need. It would also be helpful if it explained how a helicoil works. it strikes me as a job that anyone can do, but probably needs explaining.inquiring minds want to know.

oh yeah- if anyone has any tips on drilling steel and where to get drill bits then i woudl be very grateful.

My knowledge of creating threads/holes in/on metal is non existant.

does anyone know of a very basic guide to using helicoils and taps and dies?

It needs to be so simple that it explains how to go about selecting the right tool and worknig out what thread you need. It would also be helpful if it explained how a helicoil works. it strikes me as a job that anyone can do, but probably needs explaining.inquiring minds want to know.

oh yeah- if anyone has any tips on drilling steel and where to get drill bits then i woudl be very grateful.

Jim,

I might be a bit slower than most on here, but it took me about 6 years of Engineering Study and copious amonts of beer to be able to be"professionally" allowed to apply specifics to design!

Si has done a very good technical post on grinding drill bits in the archive.

Good afternoon el Puggo ..............

Yes, helicoils are easy to use ............... invaluable with aluminum ................ and reputedly strong than the original thread as they provide radial tension.

look here in the tech archive http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=7921

I purchase them from here ........http://www.uni-thread.com/

Its important to understand the way inserts are measured in terms of length ......... the kit usually are supplied with 1.5D inserts ............. that a threaded length of 1.5 times the thread diameter (root to root)................ inserts are avaialbe as 1.5D, 2D, 2.5D,3D, & 3.5D

I have most common UNC sizes in the workshop, plus a couple of metric sizes ......................if you need to borrow a kit then give me a ring ........

For information on thread types, drill angles, cutting speeds, lathe tool angles, thread forms. and other common and not so common engineering facts, then lay your hands on a copy of Machinery's Handbook ........... I have the 20th edition here which is 1976 and I never let it out of my sight

:)

Ian

Tech archive - the Zeus book IIRC has all the infos in it.
Then lay your hands on a copy of Machinery's Handbook ........... I have the 20th edition here which is 1976 and I never let it out of my sight

:)

Ian

Fridge, I cant resist this one mate......

The Zeus Tables Versus the Machinery Handbook :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

The machinery handbook, even in 1976 edition will have a billion million quadzillion more information than Zeus, and then some.

Oh I forgot....

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

Very true rog, but for normal everyday drilling and tapping and/or threadcutting the zeus book has pretty much everthing you need. I always keep the zues book to hand in my machine shop, and rarely need to go elsewhere for that sort of information...

Mark

For information on thread types, drill angles, cutting speeds, lathe tool angles, thread forms. and other common and not so common engineering facts, then lay your hands on a copy of Machinery's Handbook ........... I have the 20th edition here which is 1976 and I never let it out of my sight

We have copy of the ninth edition from 1935 at work, I believe it was left here by someone who retired about 20 years ago and it still gets referred to on a regular basis (infact I was looking at it this morning). I keep meaning to get myself an up to date version.

Steve