rollcage tube

gav-

Went to pipe centre today with the pipe formers (like the clarke type 99quid jobie) to measure up to see if i could find some tube to fit.

Anyhow

I found this tube seamless steel tube API 5L Astm A10g grade B, SCH 40. The 11/2 and 2inch tube fitted nicely into the formers.

has anyone used this tube for rollcage, is it anygood for bending? Its a bit pricey at between 7 and 9 quid a metre.

Recommendations please

I haven't used it for rollcages, but I have used it for numerous duties in an oil refinary. Good weldable material that doesn't need any fancy heat treatments etc. I have been out of pipework jobs for a few years now, but as far as I remember it is a seamless tube, so would be more than suitable for a roll cage. Only thing that might need checking is the yeild strength. You can get numerous different schedules (wall thicknesses). Schd 40 is the most common, then scd 80. Goes up to Schd 160.

Might make a heavy cage though..... perhaps somthing with a higher yield strength and thinner wall section would make a significantly lighter cage?

Adrian

I haven't used it for rollcages, but I have used it for numerous duties in an oil refinary. Good weldable material that doesn't need any fancy heat treatments etc. I have been out of pipework jobs for a few years now, but as far as I remember it is a seamless tube, so would be more than suitable for a roll cage. Only thing that might need checking is the yeild strength. You can get numerous different schedules (wall thicknesses). Schd 40 is the most common, then scd 80. Goes up to Schd 160.

Might make a heavy cage though..... perhaps somthing with a higher yield strength and thinner wall section would make a significantly lighter cage?

Adrian

Forgot to add that it bends well - but for piping duties we restricted the bend radius to 5 x the pipe diameter. For a roll cage you will need tighter bends, but I suspect that it will bend happyily enough in the right bender.

Adrian

Any reason why you didn't buy EN10255 tube Adrian? It's cheaper and has been tried and tested for roll cage construction.

Les.

Les,

on my last cage I used Blue band(?) as per the ARC spec's. The API 5L pipe I used at work for maintence of steam systems, 99.99% pure alchol piping etc. You are allowed large diameter pulled bends on some services (mainly water, LP steam etc). We have to stick to piping spec's for each duty that will specify the materials, types of bends, fittings, flange rating etc.

Adrian