Defender ICE, what and how.....

Right then chaps.

The Kenwood CD player currently residing in my dash hasnt got a form of connection for my Ipod apart from the crappy Itrip.

I want to have an ipod compatable head unit and four speakers (currently only 2 in front).

Not really after a sub.

Want to spend about 3p doing it as well...... ; )

So, what have you lot got / done for tunes in your trucks ?

Well......... aside from the option of buying one from Halfrauds or similar which would be more than 3p I'd suggest the LR branded Clarion that is in the new 07 Defender XS model.

It has an aux input for an iPod or any other MP3 and also plays MP3 format CDs.

The good bit for you on price is that they are cropping up on ebay and the forums as people upgrade to DVD players etc and flog the old one off cheap.

Be careful about plugs though, if the 07 is like the 02-06 Defenders the ICE plug is a stupid BMW multiplug rather than the industry standard twin ISO connectors, and if you have a vehicle with an 07 harness and an ISO radio you can buy an adaptor lead, but if you have a vehicle with ISO connectors and a BMW-plugged radio (which the late model radio probably is) you are b*ggered as far as I know - or if you find anywhere selling an adaptor can you please post up where! we have a heap of old LR radiocassettes which are in perfect working order but are no good in anything other than a late model Defender because you can't buy an adaptor lead to go the other way.

I've had a little play with my 110's setup and have concluded the following:

1. Decent head unit which drives the speakers properly is essential!! I've got a JVC head unit in my 110 and it's massively better than my old Blaupunkt in terms of sound quality. So much so that I thought the speaker fairy had been visiting and changed my speakers.

2. Decent speakers. DON'T go the cheap route. Get the best speakers you can with a good top-end. They'll distort FAR less and give you great sound with high volume levels (say, when your drivetrain is getting noisy - speeds over 70mph...). Cheaper speakers will not work as well.

3. With 1 & 2 adopted as above, you'll find that a 4-speaker setup won't be as important.

4. With 1 adopted, the standard LR speakers are surprisingly good.

For what it's worth, try things with the standard 2 speaker arrangement and then go for the other 2 if you absolutely must.

as has been pointed out you need power to get decent sound, which is why the replacement head unit will sound much better than the original one. (and i dont mean 1000's of watts but the standard head unit probably put out 2w per channel and most aftermarket units are nearer 30W per channel (rms))

In my girlfriends car i have fitted a pioneer head unit i got from ebay (p3600mp) its a few years old but has the auxiliary in feature needed for ipods, plays MP3 cd's and is rated at 50wx2 (which is 27w per channel RMS) Ive fitted some alpine component speakers in the front doors to replace the original ford items and it sounds much much better than stock. It has no rear speakers but ive fitted a pioneer sub and 800w amp in the boot which (when set up properly) rounds it out nicely

I find too many people fit a sub and have the bass wound to the max, u hear them coming from 4 miles away! Thats totally pointless, but a well setup sub can take the strain away from small 13cm in dash speakers without being overpowering.

A similar setup in the landrover would in my opinion be perfectly acceptable and i'll be looking at something along those lines for mine once its rebuilt. You may think the sub overkill or simply dont have the room for it which is fine, but i recon if u spend the cash buying a decent head unit and some decent front speakers you'll achieve a nicely rounded system that u can still hear over the TDi at 3800rpm :P

i replaced the stereo in my '96 90 with a jvc unit with aux input from ebay for a very reasonable £50.

HUGE improvement over the standard unit,

but the LR front speakers didnt do the trick.

bought some pioneer speakers to replace those, but found the 50w per channel (x4) stereo still caused bass breakup at high volumes required for motorway driving.

as it happens, my fairly decent kenwood mini system died. i checked the voltage and power ratings on the back of the speakers (12v, 65w) and they matched the headunit nicely, so i fastened the speakers from the minisystem just behind the center bulkhead and conected them straight up to the stereo. Easy to do as it is a 4 channel headunit and just bullet connectored it in and i now have 4 decent speakers! The kenwood minispeakers are only 10"x6"x4" and stay nicely out of the way pointing towards the back door for optimum acoustics. there was just enough room between the internal cage uprights and the tub sides for them to slide between!

Balance is slightly biased to the rear speakers, as they have much better bass grunt to handle metallica - and it will go loud enough to make the seat backs vibrate and water bottle jiggle on the dash, without any distortion across the frequency range.

proper happy!

Have a Kenwood radio/cassette driving 4 Pioneer speakers front 2 are in the standard dash location & rear 2 are in the rear headliner right at the rear corners in front of the small windows each side of the rear door, works fine for me :D

Have just spent most of the last two days manufacturing speaker pods etc out of MDF and fitting new cubby box, re-wiring so that my JVC i-Pod jobby radio could go in it. Finally complete!

Worth pointing out the difficulty on a lot of Defender's replacing the front speakers as the passenger speaker hole is very shallow and will not take an aftermarket speaker. I resorted to building out a 24mm pod out of MDF (all appropriately finished) to house it properly. As a side note, nicely sanded MDF painted with roll on hammerite looks remarkably like plastic!

Be prepared for lots of messing about with interesting wiring connections etc especially if your Defender is pre-1994.

Having said that, now that it's all done, I love it! Have cut off direct feed from the battery so as not to drain it during long stationary periods, i.e. power only goes to the stereo when key is in ignition at position 1. It means I can't store radio stations, but as I listen to my i-Pod 24-7 and don't have an aerial I'm not too worried!

what you should have done is kept the permanent live. nigh on all modern aftermarket stereos, and i know that one does for a fact has a yellow and red wires, one requiring a permanent live to keep memory of stations, clock and power parts of the unit, the other to actually switch the unit on from the key thus not operate when engine is off and ignition is off, yet not lose any settings

Just to add a bit of information the Defender TD5 has the rear speaker leads already installed in the harness, if you remove the 2 aluminium plates from the rear corners you will find the wires there. You can get speaker pods from LR to replace the aluminium plates. There is an adaptor cable to make an ISO stereo fit the 02-06 Defender, it's available on ebay.

Maybe everybody knows this already but I'm posting it just in case.

I have Harmon Kardon speakers in mine, and thinking they were the best, I was well wrong, I have to get them removed as the sound is very poor.

thats strange, cos the harmon kardon system fitted in the wifes disco 2 ES is absolutely AWESOME!

the clarity and volume and depth of sound you get is staggering. Easily the best factory fitted sound system i've come across. :lol:

thats strange, cos the harmon kardon system fitted in the wifes disco 2 ES is absolutely AWESOME!

the clarity and volume and depth of sound you get is staggering. Easily the best factory fitted sound system i've come across. :lol:

Knowing Daz, the speakers are ok - its just the stuff he plays on it. :lol:

Guest otchie1

I grabbed a cheapo Eltax from ebuyer like this one but in black. Does everything I need. Has a SD slot and a USB slot for skip free music and some other connecting gubbins for iCE wot i not got :-)

I'm never going to buy an iPod but so long as they're USB compatible liek every MP3 player should be it'll plug in.

My speakers looked like 1989 originals. Replace with LR newbies from Ebay (complete with full fitting set etc for naff all). Handy that I had them as nothing else fits on the NS dash mount on account of the wiper motor.

Fitted ProPlus PJ speakers in the door cards and ProPlus XP 6x9s behind the reach benches to drown out the screams.

The buttons are a bit fiddly but for the money I'm happy.

All wired in 8-core with 4cores for each terminal....plenty good enough.

Finally got an extra set of LR speaker mounts to replace the bits of hacked-up MDF in the door cards and have some speaker grills en route from Tait Components for about a £1 to prettify the deal.

Handy that I had them as nothing else fits on the NS dash mount on account of the wiper motor.

I built a pod to house a proper decent speaker out of MDF, finished it and painted it in black hammerite and it looks fine. Took one and a half hours, and an hour of that was waiting for wood glue to dry. The pod only sticks out 24mm and that gives the speaker enough clearance, and it doesn't stick out too far to get in the way of knees, suitcases etc

I built a pod to house a proper decent speaker out of MDF, finished it and painted it in black hammerite and it looks fine. Took one and a half hours, and an hour of that was waiting for wood glue to dry. The pod only sticks out 24mm and that gives the speaker enough clearance, and it doesn't stick out too far to get in the way of knees, suitcases etc

Yours may well look fine but I am more of a wood butcher. You should see the mess I made of the 6x9 MDF pods that kinda fit behind the rear benches. The proper spacers from LR are cheap enough though and look pukka with the LR speakers.

I bought a cheapo off Eblag that plays MP3 from SD card and USB memory stick as well as CD's etc.....

In order to fit my Parrot hands-free kit I installed ISO connections in the front of my 110.... All works very well. Phone over front speakers can be heard well up to 70, although I'm told my speech becomes a bit garbled at the speed as the noise cancellation in the unit can't handle Land Rover volumes !! :)

To overcome the LR noises I fitted some Bose speakers in the rear. Woofer fastened in the rear on O/S wheel arch and cubes at the rear near the small windows... Makes a lovely noise and covers all the squeaking, rattling from the windows etc.

Neil

Just to add a bit of information the Defender TD5 has the rear speaker leads already installed in the harness, if you remove the 2 aluminium plates from the rear corners you will find the wires there. You can get speaker pods from LR to replace the aluminium plates. There is an adaptor cable to make an ISO stereo fit the 02-06 Defender, it's available on ebay.

Maybe everybody knows this already but I'm posting it just in case.

That's great info. Sounds like it is pretty straight forward to fit rear speakers.