detachable tow bar for disco 1

dougstar

HI ALL

hoping someone can help i,m after a decent detachable tow bar for my disco 1,

have spotted the southdown pack and it looks the dogs danglies but 300 rips is bit steep for me :o .

also friend has the one from disco parts (forget the picture on the web it does it no justice at all) it looks spot on which i,m swaying towards £175 <_< .

however just thought i would post a quick thread to maybe find another supplier gather some ideas or have someone offer me a second hand one?????? :P

look forward to hearing your suggestions

I have the Southdown system (bought second hand form a forum member) and am very pleased with it. The bash plate stands up to the abuse and the tow bar takes less than 5 minutes to fit.

I also have a dixon bate adjustable tow bar on it, so the height can be changed quickly too.

I have to admit it is a little bit rattley, but that is just the nature of these things. Can do a picture if you like?

Cheers

Mark

Guardian also offer a copy of the Southdown system. You'll find it on ebay if you search for 'tank guard'

However, after looking into these, the Southdown one still comes out at the top of the list because all the others sell the parts to complete the system separately, so it soon adds up! for the small amount of difference, I'd throw the money to Southdown!! BTW - Second Hand ones are quite rare :rolleyes:

Scorpion Racing do a good one. I have one and can take it off in about 30 seconds and put it back in about the same time.

Jojo

Me too, but its not ideal. I had problems fitting it (they didn't provide any instructions) and the metal plate that is supposed to sit underneath the rear cross member doesn't sit flush. They tried to tell me that my rear cross member was bent, but it isn't.

Also, the washers supplied for the bolts to go through the chassis were c**p as they folded into the "adjustable" slots on the chassis arm.

That said, at the moment I only use it for the Warn recovery point and shackle. If I used the drop plate, it would not be at right angles to the ground.

I looked at the scrapiron one, and thought it looked like a good solution, but I wanted the tank guard as well, so I think the southdown one does a much better job!

Mark

I think you're right there. Unfortunately, I got my mine before I was educated in the ways of the Orange One... :ph34r: