D1 Seats

Mark

The Seats in my disco are a little on the tired side after 165000 miles, so I am thinking about ways to improve them.

Option 1 is to get new foams from the likes of exmoor trim, which seems like reasonable value, but I think the back foam needs similar treatment, and that is not available... Also are they easy to do, or is it an expert upholstery job?

Option 2 is to Try and find another pair which arn't as knackered (anyone got a decent set of front seats in Beige kicking around?) - Are 3 and 5 Door seats the same?

Option 3 is to replace them with something a little more comfortable and supportive. The usual bucket seat discussions could ensue, but I quite like the idea of a semi-bucket reclining seat out of a hot hatch or something... Has anyone else changed the seats in a disco? If so I am assuming it is just a question of modding the runners on the donor seat to fit the disco bases (nb 3 door, so tilting base...)...

So opinions and experiences sought, and also a set of seats of some description....

Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark

I have just fitted some leather recaros into my Disco. Was a relatively straight forward fit, took about an hour to weld up some suitable subframes. Very comfy and supportive but still easy to get in and out.

post-1427-1188579116_thumb.jpg

I think 3 and 5 door seats are probably a bit different since they sit on very different subframes.

The seats are marked Ford but don't tilt so must be a 4 door. I am guessing it was a sierra sapphire cossie or ghia or such like. The ford subframes are quite convoluted but the seats themselves are bolted on by 4 bolts, 1 in each corner and have nice flat bases. Removing the Ford subframes left me with a nice flat surface. The top of the Disco subframe is also nice and flat with a bolt in each corner. Making a subframe interface couldn't have been easier.

Don't quote me but i have a feeling that most Recaro badged seats will be similar with a simple 4 bolt fixing (albeit hidden under a complex subframe. Similar seats were fitted in GTE vauxhalls and countless other sporty hatchbacks.

I have just fitted a replacement Exmoor seat cushion to my Disco i and it was dead easy. Comes with good instructions.

Alternatively why not fit some Volvo 940 seats from a scrap yard? Very comfortable and loads of metal on the seat base to fix to. I also have a 940 and I know which seats I'd rather sit in on a long journey.

Three door seats also tilt forward, so I would imagine the seat itself is different.

Wouldn't mind replacing the front seats in my discovery, but I want to keep it looking pretty much standard and I've no idea where I'd get comfy beige seats to fit :unsure: I did look at putting the the lovely leather armchairs from the range rover in before I sold it, but decided it wasn't a straightforward job (might be doable with a bit of fabrication).

I should point out that given the time I had available (I was selling the truck that needed work for a reason...), 'straightforward job' meant unbolt seats, bolt new ones in. I didn't mean it was difficult to make them fit (and that post proves it's not).

Very tempted to buy a set of rangie seats and fit them...I hate the disco front seats. No lumber support whatsoever if you're a short-arse like me. My mate, who's tall, prefers them to the range rover but he's clearly wrong... In theory the discovery is the long-distance car but I often take the 106, even though it's rubbish on the motorway, because the seats are much better.