Turning circle

Chris123

Hiya,

I've finally got my perkins prima powered 109" sorted and running nicely, and thanks to the people who advised me on that months ago.

Now then, I went (as a spectator) to my first RTV today, and really want to get in on the action. What I've bought is an 88", which does need a fair bit of welding to the chassis but that's sortable. Now one of the things I reckon that are worth doing if possible is to improve the (rather dire) turning circle, and my thoughts on this are:

Keeping the small SWB wheels and narrow tyres

Wheel Spacers

Altering the steering relay levers to provide more movement

Are there any other ideas?

Cheers,

Chris

Not all series steering boxes are the same.

A friend of mine had a late series 3 box that had a little more travel in it than my 2a box.

It may be worth looking at yours.

A power steering conversion with a standard LR box will give you slightly better lock - better than a 90 (other things being equal) as the leaf springs are set further inboard than a 90s radius arms.

The above mentioned friend has now fitted a zf series power steering from the Royal Ulster Constabulary armoured 109s.

It bolts in the same place as the standard series box,and uses the same relay/linkage.

With a custom longer arm off the box he has a very good turning circle (large offset wheels required).

All the best, Jerry.

Those are all good ideas. You might look at some large offset wheels as well. In combination with the spacers you would get improved lateral stability and improved turning circle and still run something like 235's. I had a good set of Mangels steel wheels that were pretty shaprly offset.

Power steering would be high on my list anyway :)

I would assume that, if it's still bolted together, the swivel seal should not be able to run off the ball as it should be designed for "worst case" (EG no lock-stops) so I would say Tonk has the answer - you'll bind/break the UJ's rather than damage the seal.

I would assume that, if it's still bolted together, the swivel seal should not be able to run off the ball as it should be designed for "worst case" (EG no lock-stops) so I would say Tonk has the answer - you'll bind/break the UJ's rather than damage the seal.

has anyone actually measured the max working angle of a stock series uj?

LandRover manual quotes an angle of 26 degrees at full lock. I doubt that the swivel balls would allow more than about 30 degrees. I think the axle yokes are open enough to allow 30. Some Americans are claiming their Dana 60's with UJ's can go to 50 degrees. I doubt that on a series LandRover you will break a U joint due to binding. When they break it's simply because they are not big and strong enough. They are after all the same size as LandRovers smallest propshaft uni at 2 15/16'' cap to cap.

Bill.

trust me though when i say u will bust a uj if your steering stops aren't set up right ;)

Maybe so,but I threw my steering stop bolts away after the first time I drove my series in a trial (about five years ago).

With bigger offset wheels and spacers,the steering travel was limited by the movement in the LR power steering box.

Never had any problem with ujs.(now running cvs).

Hi Folks

I think that the angel is close to 45 i have used a lot off yokes from snaped shafts to make up wide angel propshafts and they are way above 35 when finished, I use one LR yoke and one Agricultural yoke a bit off machining and so and presto hee one has chepo wide angel prop.

I think you run into al sorts off other problems before the yokes are aproblem.

Ole.

• 3 weeks later...

our series 2a 88" has a better turning circle than our discovery. I would say it was really good.

All we did was use a newer steering relay - off an 84 donor vehicle and we put lwb rims and tyres on, we wanted to fit some kind of power steering but after driving it we found we didn't need to. I can do a 3 point turn in the road just using the palm of my hand to steer

I have a 110p/s box fitted and with a standard SIII front diff I could feel the UJ's binding at full turn of the wheels. To adjust for max UJ angle- Jack both front wheels. Xfer case in neutral. Lock hubs. Turn in stop bolts. Turn full in a direction. Hold steering there and rotate one wheel at a time.Feel for binding. Adjust stops till no more binding can be felt. Repeat with wheel turned in opposite direction. Then you know your UJ's are not binding.

You may also want to check the rigging (adjustment) of your steering box compared to the relay box. With the front wheels straight the steering arms should be at right angles (square) to each other.

Is your left and right steering travel the same?

Use the force of powersteering Luke. . . . . . . . unless you want to look like Arnold the governator.