Series IIa stering box?

XtremeMarineInc

Can the standard steering box for a Series IIa be converted to hydraulic assist, or power without replacing the box itself? I am going to be running 35" tires, and I would like to be able to turn the wheel easier. I really don't want to chop up the bulkhead or frame to mount a box off of a different vehicle. I figured a few of you guys must have gone this route already. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks.

The search button is your friend :P

The short answer: No.

The popular options:

- Coiler PAS box

- CPC Pas kit ($$$$$$$)

(Search will reveal tonnes of info)

The untried options:

- Speak to POS to see if they can build a ram like the CPC one

- Fit an electric column

IMHO the issue with "up-stream" assistance is the relay unit seems to be a weak link, so stuffing 35's on and giving it a load of torque to handle will probably result in shaft failure. Someone on here (I forget who but he has a 109) was saying he'd broken several shafts running manual steering and 9.00x16's :blink:

Can the standard steering box for a Series IIa be converted to hydraulic assist, or power without replacing the box itself? I am going to be running 35" tires, and I would like to be able to turn the wheel easier. I really don't want to chop up the bulkhead or frame to mount a box off of a different vehicle. I figured a few of you guys must have gone this route already. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks.

The easiest way for you would be get a power steering box off of a Scout II. It needs a little work to the steering linkage to work, but bolts to the outside of the frame fairly easily. http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/PowerSteering.htm