Series Lpg Self Install.

OrbitalPear

Fitting a gas kit on my truck to sort the MPG as its now a daily commuting vehicle and also still pinker than a pink thing.

Gas conversion progress.....

Trial fitting to see what goes where.

19fs1.jpg

Some holes in the right places.

24xj.jpg

Hopefully everything will fit.

34uf.jpg

Still there.

41rb.jpg

I need a hole in the side panel. I was worried about this part. Not keen on drilling big holes in immaculate pink panels.

57in.jpg

But it turned out OK. Perfectly circular, thank god for half round files.

63lz.jpg

Just to prove its not a black circle I drew on the bodywork.

74ib.jpg

Stick my hose in the hole.

81tg.jpg

Feed the lot through and ziplock it up out of the way.

90ln.jpg

Set the old man to work.

108ro.jpg

Start reconnecting the pipes.

119uj.jpg

Plumb and tidy up.

126cw.jpg

Looks quite tidy at this side.

137eu.jpg

Shiny.

140rb.jpg

Really shiny.

158yw1.jpg

More to follow as I get it done.

Vapouriser fitted, gas feed solenoid fitted, Petrol shutoff fitted, pictures to follow.

Looks like a quality job. B)

Seems like an interesting place to put the filler cap, particularly if you ever decide to fit a hood!

Ours is just behind the door, where a filler cap would be on a normal series motor...

Cheers

Mark

Its fitted with a truck-cab or goes topless, like it is at the moment (but maybe without the pink paint). I just wanted it up out of the way and the elbow on the reverse fits nicely into the gap between the tub capping and the bulkhead capping.

Off to do a bit more soon as the truck is costing me 50 quid a week to get to work at the moment.

Kit is through Chris perfect, I believe.

I bought it fitted to a 109. Paid less than the price of a new kit for the lot. Free 109.

Progress from tonight.

Got all the engine side hoses trimmed, routed, fitted and tightened. Just need a bit of PTFE to seal the tee piece to the thermostat housing.

Then comes the main tank to vap gas line and the electrics. Getting a bit busy on the carb side of the engine bay.

g1.jpg

g2.jpg

g3.jpg

g4.jpg

Not a lot of progress today.

Decided to sort the leak on the front tee piece to the cooling circuit having 'found' 26 metres of PTFE tape today.

Had to cut one of the jubilee clips off and bodge a replacement.

g5.jpg

Bolted the relay in,

g6.jpg

Fitted the petrol shutoff solenoid valve (Blue wire in the centre is the earth for it). Had some fun getting it running until I remembered theres a manual cutoff on the bottom of the valve.

g7.jpg

Then I cracked the casting on the side of the thermostat housing.

g8.jpg

Bugger it.

g9.jpg

Wiring as it was installed on the old truck.

gg1.jpg

New and improved Keef style wiring.

gg2.jpg

Stupid arty pic of my gas pipe at the tank.

gg3.jpg

A bit of ply with a hole in.

gg4.jpg

A bit of ply with some holes in.

gg5.jpg

Which with some buffalo vinyl becomes a new dash panel. Almost. Bit in the middle is a four line (blade) fusebox for the 12 volt system.

gg6.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Looks good Keef - what size tank have you got in there? My brother's considering it for the 90 as we'll save more money than going to diesel, but there's the problem of flippin' huge tanks to put somewhere...

Richard

Sorry mate, missed this one.

Its a 90 litre tank. Good for somewhere just over 250-300 miles at current reckoning. Depending on driving style.

Done about 1000 miles on it so far. Mostly motorway work.

Thankyou for a very interesting and informative posting ! I am seriously considering going down the same route as yourself and was wondering if you could help me with a few basic questions. I suppose I could ask an LPG kit supplier but they are biased arn't they ? Anyway here goes . How does this affect the insurance of the landrover ie , does it cost more ! and do you need an engineers report to satisfy the insurers ? Also, what are the service implications, can you do it yourself and is there much to it ? Sorry to be a pain but I am just now getting to grips with lpg and all advice would be greatly appreciated. I hope that I'm not hijacking the thread but what other tank locations have all you other forum users used and are happy with ? Many thanks.

Thankyou for a very interesting and informative posting ! I am seriously considering going down the same route as yourself and was wondering if you could help me with a few basic questions. I suppose I could ask an LPG kit supplier but they are biased arn't they ? Anyway here goes . How does this affect the insurance of the landrover ie , does it cost more ! and do you need an engineers report to satisfy the insurers ? Also, what are the service implications, can you do it yourself and is there much to it ? Sorry to be a pain but I am just now getting to grips with lpg and all advice would be greatly appreciated. I hope that I'm not hijacking the thread but what other tank locations have all you other forum users used and are happy with ? Many thanks.

Hi Don't have any ideas about the legal aspect because they are different here in Holland , but LPG is much more common then in the UK over here.

You can fit the tank or between the arches or on one side on the arch (but it will always lean a bit then and is more topheavy) it's even possible to mount it under the sills but it will reduce ground clearance.

Service implications are easy. Servicing you LPG system is easier the servicing a carb.

Fitting is also not that hard.

You can also take out the 80% restricitor of the tank so you can fill it completely up. On my series a rub the 90 litre tank. And in my RR a twin 120 litre (240 litre!!!) tank setup. only downside is that filling up takes a long time :(

Any more questions just ask.

Cheers Bowy

• 4 weeks later...
What form? I don't understand can you explain?

Cheers bowy

You mentioned you could increase the gas capacity beyond it's safe design max of 80% by removing a 'restrictor'. What is this device/lump?

Cheers, Paul

You mentioned you could increase the gas capacity beyond it's safe design max of 80% by removing a 'restrictor'. What is this device/lump?

Cheers, Paul

It's a little level floating device in the tank that's can be taken out. only problem is then when completely filled standing outside on a hot day the tank can start "farting" little blips of LPG. never had that happen but it is possible......

cheers bowy