what would you do

stripy

Jules and me Konw a very good land rover mechanic that Used to say

That there was a certain way to deal with this. And that was to turn of the ingnition and slowly get out of the car and close the car door and run like **** . Beacuse when it starts there is pretty much bugger all you can do to stop it

As i have seen it burn cluchs out where people try and stall it

You have actually witnessed a runaway engine burning out an otherwise functional clutch when someone has attempted to stall the engine in a high gear? :unsure:

Yeap happen to a bloke with a land rover in front of me at a set of traffic lights. Could not stop it and burnt out a clutch (which Mildly miffed the bloke of as it was only fitted 2 months before) while we tried to stall the engine. Which is why i read this subject with intrest as once it starts, that is it untill it runs out of oil.

Seeing this, was what bought up the subject to the mechanic who told us to just run away when it happens

How can an engine develop so much power just by burning oil which comes past the rings or via the valve guides, when a healthy 300 can only overcome the clutch sometimes using a thousand pounds worth of highly developed fuel injection equipment? Are we running engines on the wrong stuff? (V8 boys need not apply)

Yeap happen to a bloke with a land rover in front of me at a set of traffic lights. Could not stop it and burnt out a clutch (which Mildly miffed the bloke of as it was only fitted 2 months before) while we tried to stall the engine. Which is why i read this subject with intrest as once it starts, that is it untill it runs out of oil.

Seeing this, was what bought up the subject to the mechanic who told us to just run away when it happens

I only ask because having seen several large diesels of varying capicity (from 1400cc to 10500cc) run on oil, I have never seen one slip the clutch when trying to stall in a high gear. I have seen one snap the crankshaft. I can only assume that you were doing it wrong.

How can an engine develop so much power just by burning oil which comes past the rings or via the valve guides, when a healthy 300 can only overcome the clutch sometimes using a thousand pounds worth of highly developed fuel injection equipment? Are we running engines on the wrong stuff? (V8 boys need not apply)

Engines running on their own oil mostly occur with head gasket failures, at least in my experience anyway. They will often run untill the oil level drops below that of the pump pick up, and then die back down to tickover. total failure of the power unit (usually crankshaft failure in my experience) often happens within the next 500miles.

OK, but however the oil's getting in there it's not being injected in a high-pressure conical spray directed into the point of best swirl at 8 degrees BTDC so allowing for the ignition delay and giving best burn characteristics. It just happens to be around when the piston comes up and everything gets warm - I'll grant you it's not controlling peak cylinder pressure very well and I doubt the emissions are Euro2 compliant but why so much power? If it worked that well, the first diesels could have been carburetted?

I think the implication was that burnt out clutch = lots of power...

My mistake . .

I have come across a few at work and they have been stopped by using the clutch and 4th or 5th with no bother

Same here

IMO Mr reads90 is either lying, mistaken, or didnt know what he was doing; i.e. letting the clutch out gently in too low a gear. Jerking the clutch out in top always works. At least in my experience

I had this happen on a 2 1/4 diesel through crankcase pressure ( worn bores) blowing oil into the intake.

When it took off i was in 4th doing 45 - flat out :lol: on the A14 and in a split second I had 65 on the speedo....the kick in the back was more akin to my old 455HO firebird than a LR :blink: ....the cloud of smoke engulfed everyone behind and it took 1/3 mile to bring it to a stop in 4th .

My mates wifes Laguna self fuelled ( blown turbo seal ) a couple of months ago when she restarted it after re fuelling. She got out with the rev counter off the scale.......it ran for nearly 20mins , 10 of which was watched from a safe distance by the 3 fire crews that turned up ......all they did was to push it away from the pumps.After it went bang they made it safe.

.....its a bit like if the car catchs fire.........how much risk do you want to put yourself/others under?

trust me its f**king scary

:o

cheers

Steveb

A few years ago when I was a young lad I did my track licence at work. Got to drive an AFV 432 and CVR(T). This has a deadmans pedal next to the accelerator. Which in the case of a runaway engine cuts something to shut the engine down. Only used it once. Not as scary as the instr said when the engine decides to go for it. I'm sure some REME types will be along to explain properly how it works.

A few years ago when I was a young lad I did my track licence at work. Got to drive an AFV 432 and CVR(T). This has a deadmans pedal next to the accelerator. Which in the case of a runaway engine cuts something to shut the engine down. Only used it once. Not as scary as the instr said when the engine decides to go for it. I'm sure some REME types will be along to explain properly how it works.

Is it petrol engined?

if so the pedal operates a pippet to drip a single droplet near the distributor that'll stop it sure as eggs are eggs :)

The trouble is you and I are restricted by the laws of physics that apply in this universe. :rolleyes:

Is it petrol engined?

if so the pedal operates a pippet to drip a single droplet near the distributor that'll stop it sure as eggs are eggs :)

No. The early 432's were petrol, a bit before my time ;) . they run they K60 powerpack now.

My mistake . .

Same here

IMO Mr reads90 is either lying, mistaken, or didnt know what he was doing; i.e. letting the clutch out gently in too low a gear. Jerking the clutch out in top always works. At least in my experience

Hold on Mate it was not me that did it is was a bloke at a set of lights in front of me

It was not my truck is was what i saw , i was told by the bloke it was a 2 month old clutch but as the bloke was bloody Mildly miffed i did not ask for the recipt to prove it

He had done the clutch on the landy before i had even got to his truck . You know i did one of thoses nice things where you go and help a fellow landy owner when he is in trouble

Before you call me a liar or say i don't know what i am doing.