Cam belt

bazza

Probably been asked a thoudand times but i will ask anyway, what engine number did the cam belt kits change on a disco 300 tdi?

reason i ask is my disco had a new engine fitted by LR a few years back so getting a cam belt kit using the VIN number may not get me the correct one, if you see what i mean.

Cheers

Baz

It doesn't go on engine numbers it goes on VIN numbers, the engine numbers are not an exact sequence.

Info is in the tech archive on VIN numbers though it may not be a lot of use to you... the only option may be inspection to see what is fitted, but even then you will only really be able to tell whether a kit is fitted or not, not which kit it is. I suspect the kit would have been fitted according to VIN number if a kit has been fitted.

It doesn't go on engine numbers it goes on VIN numbers, the engine numbers are not an exact sequence.

Info is in the tech archive on VIN numbers though it may not be a lot of use to you... the only option may be inspection to see what is fitted, but even then you will only really be able to tell whether a kit is fitted or not, not which kit it is. I suspect the kit would have been fitted according to VIN number if a kit has been fitted.

right o, cheers, guess i will just have to look and see

BAz

Vin niunber stuff didn't help me as my vin starts with AADD rather than SALL. But every 300tdi should have by now been fitted with the kit #2. We still change the static and adjustable bearings at 60 000 kms anyway, and fit the bearmach crank pinion which doesn't break like the genuine LR one.

• 1 month later...

Well finally got my backside in gear and did the cam belt............wrong cam belt kit!!! :blink: even worse the rad is knackered!

i Bought a kit from paddocks going by my chassis number, took the disco apart and found the idler and tensioner are wrong, the ones they sent look more like a 200 tdi set up? i guess this is the early 300 type?

Still its answered my question, my disco has a later engine in it as fitted to chassis sequence VA and up.

I reckon if the adjustable idler has the shoulder on it they have sold you an old kit made before 1997 which is when the LR technical bulletin came out.

They should be shot at dawn for trying to pass off old and obsolete rubbish.

I reckon if the adjustable idler has the shoulder on it they have sold you an old kit made before 1997 which is when the LR technical bulletin came out.

They should be shot at dawn for trying to pass off old and obsolete rubbish.

now i get it! a few words with paddocks on monday me thinks :angry: