Bodywork repairs

Recently acquired my dream car and would welcome any advice on how to restore her to her full glory.

Got an Lreg (200tdi) 90, CSW in red. Totally original, never molested or abused. The chassis is literally as good as new and interior is mint. The only thing showing anysigns of ageing is the bodywork. The red paint work has faded and there is the start of blistering on rear door and lower edges of passenger / drivers doors. Some moderate rust on rear door around the handle (in the recessed area).

My question is, how to tackle the existing blistering and slow down any additional blistering. As she seems to "rust" from the inside out, it is actually possible to tackle this, or will I just have to put up with it or buy new doors.

Great forum BTW :D

If you want to, buff up the paintwork with t-cut thoroughly and get all the powdery residue off with white spirit or similar, then polish.

Blistering is a way of life on doors. You can tinker with it, but it will come back.

If your chassis is as good as you say, then I would prioritise getting waxoyl into it, and the bulkhead, while the weather is warm.

Recently acquired my dream car and would welcome any advice on how to restore her to her full glory.

Got an Lreg (200tdi) 90, CSW in red. Totally original, never molested or abused. The chassis is literally as good as new and interior is mint. The only thing showing anysigns of ageing is the bodywork. The red paint work has faded and there is the start of blistering on rear door and lower edges of passenger / drivers doors. Some moderate rust on rear door around the handle (in the recessed area).

My question is, how to tackle the existing blistering and slow down any additional blistering. As she seems to "rust" from the inside out, it is actually possible to tackle this, or will I just have to put up with it or buy new doors.

Great forum BTW :D

Apart from my red Honda VFR750 bike which is red and has not faded or discoloured because it's a Honda, my red Astra estate and my red Fiat Panda 4x4 were both a nightmare with fading and discolouring due to UV affecting the paint. I know it's no consolation to you but I will never buy another red car, unless it is perhaps from Mr Honda.

Presumably it is not metallic and therefore if a straight red a bit of elbow grease and t-cut will make him look 10 years younger and the occasional touch-in is much easier than a metallic finish.