Leaking DPS pump on 12J engine.

David Sparkes

A blatant second post, the original is in Classifieds, placed there just in case someone had such a pump for sale.

It seems not, so I've reworded the topic, and will just look for what advice is available.

The High Pressure Diesel Fuel Injection pump on a 12J (2.5) engine is leaking fuel at the rate of about 1 drop per second while the engine is running. I cannot see exactly where it's leaking from, the closest I can get to is halfway along the body, on the side closest to the engine block.

I've no prior experience with these devices, so it might be a simple failure, with a simple repair, or not.

I'm not sure whether to try and pick up a 'known' good one from somewhere (any suggestions?),

or go to someone like 'addocks to see what they can offer,

or have 'my' pump overhauled.

Officially it hasn't done an inter-galactic mileage so shouldn't be worn out, but the evidence is that the PO ran it like this for some time. He didn't do many miles, so any repair cost wasn't justified by the fuel saving. Mind you, he probably didn't realise that washing the front propshaft UJ in diesel is a good way of knackering it.

Anyway, suggestions on the best way forward will be gratefully received.

Cheers.

In case it doesn't say in my profile, I'm in Derbyshire, about 5 miles from Paddocks, as it happens.

I also intend going to the Peterborough show, in another vehicle, on Sat 9th Sept.

I have one of these pumps down the shed David, so I got the spanners out! :)

There's quite a few placed on the engine block side of the pump that could leak. Most possible leak areas are sealed with O-rings, or sealing washers. There is a gasket however, that I suppose is the most likely to leak, although I have experienced the injector pipe connections leaking in the past - compression washers either side of the fittings and I only had to tighten the bolt to cure the problem. Some pictures that might help anyway:-

The side of the pump closest to the engine block.

med_gallery_2_315_1407999.jpg

O-ring seal.

med_gallery_2_315_998523.jpg

O-ring and alloy/rubber compression washer.

med_gallery_2_315_274760.jpg

This (whatever it is) has a gasket where it contacts the main body of the pump, a copper compression washer on the smaller nut, and an O-ring/compression washer on the larger one (banjo bolt).

med_gallery_2_315_1463734.jpg

med_gallery_2_315_534101.jpg

med_gallery_2_315_82895.jpg

med_gallery_2_315_1204981.jpg

It would be a lot easier if you could devise some way of seeing up/down the side of the injector pump with either a mirror, camera phone, or camera (if you have a cheapo one like me) :)

Les.

This (whatever it is)

That is the advance Les, you can see where it joins the cam ring. it moves and advances the point of injection when the engine speeds up. A bit like the advance on a distributor. Sometimes there is a big disc, that is a damper.

Chris

That is the advance Les, you can see where it joins the cam ring. it moves and advances the point of injection when the engine speeds up. A bit like the advance on a distributor. Sometimes there is a big disc, that is a damper.

Chris

You don't know how to strip/rebuild one of these things do you Chris - now that's impressive. Bit of a dark art in my opinion.

Les.

I see Les, that you will go to 'any' lengths to get me to post pictures on this blessed site!!

Seriously, thanks for your efforts with the camera and spanners.

I think I'm fully booked this weekend, and the 38A needs some TLC, so it may be sometime before I can rerun the engine. I've just had a quick look, and it's only surface dirt, which might actually help me spot the origin, if I happen to be looking in almost the right place soon after starting the engine.

If it doesn't, I'll clean then dry the pump, and try again.

Thanks again.