New here...

Hey Gavin!

Welcome to the wonderful world of Land Rover, and to the forum....dont feel out of place here mate, there are loads of us that are new to all this, and some wonderfully helpful folk out there, who have an answer to your question, no matter how thick you might feel asking it (God knows, I felt a bit thick in me first couple of weeks here!!)

Can we see a pic when you finally get hold of her please?

Martin

I know i'm being a bit of a wet blanket & sensible but if your new vehicle doesn't come with an owners handbook I would get one straight away as they cover so much stuff they are an invaluable item for a new owner.

Pre Defender ones are available new from the LRE bookshop for about £13. Later Defender ones are not available anymore so you have to pick one up off somewhere like Ebay. There always seem to be a couple for sale and I got an 'as new' copy in the original ring-binder for £10.

Likewise a Haynes workshop manual will give you a lot of good reading and will answer many questions even before you have thought to ask them. At about £14 new they aren't expensive and if you get the Restoration Guide as well you should have all the information you will need at your fingertips.

What a welcome!

I'm a member of a few different Car Forums and that has to be THE best welcome ever, thanks!

Should be picking the Defender up next Tuesday so will have more questions then, first job is to sort the back seat situation.

Been looking at the Exmoor Trim options of either bench seats or the small flip up ones, will need lap belts too.

Here's a pic.

The only non-standard thing I think are the rear windows, other than that seems sound, will get three months warranty so should get some miles on it sharpish!

Need to get some roof bars too for the surf boards, then some off road lessons! :blink:

I'm near St Neot (between Bodmin and Liskeard)

TTFN

G

post-4690-1189080977_thumb.jpg

Smart truck - just needs a big "UN" sticker on the side ;)

Exmoor trim are good for seats but can be spendy, I'd check out eBay for 2nd hand ones before melting the credit card.

Oh and while it's sunny and your vehicle is "dealership clean" and dry, you may want to climb underneath with some waxoyl/dinitrol/stonechip and coat everything to pre-empt rust later on. I've just done this on my RR 'cos the sun's out and am now covered in underbody wax, mmmm sticky :( . I'm sure someone (coughNigecough :lol: ) can point you in the direction of where to squirt it on a 90 - just don't get the cat ;) .

Smart truck - just needs a big "UN" sticker on the side

Good one, I'll be off on a peace keeping mission asap, missus has already christened it a 'fridge on wheels', dealer told me white didn't show the dirt :(

Thought I would underseal anyway, need to get a new jack as mine is rated 2T and I think that is pushing it, mind you with two wheels on the ground does that make it only one tonne I'm lifting :blink:

;)

G

Get a decent, BIG 3t trolley jack or a 20T bottle jack - none of this £20 Halfords cr*p. Although the cheapo Halfords (etc.) ones will technically lift a LR, they don't fill you with confidence when doing it - and I'd really rather not be hit in the back of the head by 2 tonnes of LR whilst positioning an axle stand :blink:

This may be obvious, but if you have two wheels in the air make sure the centre diff-lock is engaged and the wheels that are on the ground are chocked. If you don't know why, read up on how the 4x4 setup works as many new owners assume that "permanent 4x4" means something different than it really does :P

Keep your eyes open for my big blue 110, always up & down the A30 at weekends, smart looking 90, rear side windows are neatly done, ( there not factory station wagon parts, so it'll be a converted hardtop/van body)

my 2tonne trolley jack happily lifts one corner of my heavy 110, but bigger is safer/better :D

What a welcome!

I'm a member of a few different Car Forums and that has to be THE best welcome ever, thanks!

Should be picking the Defender up next Tuesday so will have more questions then, first job is to sort the back seat situation.

Been looking at the Exmoor Trim options of either bench seats or the small flip up ones, will need lap belts too.

Here's a pic.

The only non-standard thing I think are the rear windows, other than that seems sound, will get three months warranty so should get some miles on it sharpish!

Need to get some roof bars too for the surf boards, then some off road lessons! :blink:

I'm near St Neot (between Bodmin and Liskeard)

TTFN

G

post-4690-1189080977_thumb.jpg

Welcome Gavin, nice to see some new faces around here.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm white, glad to see you are a feller with good colour sense, sure young Tony will be around soon cos' he has a white 90 as well!

Rgds

nas90 - white nas90 soft-top V8 luverly motor!

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm white, glad to see you are a feller with good colour sense, sure young Tony will be around soon cos' he has a white 90 as well!

Personally, I think defenders are the only vehicle that look good in white. Dunno why really, normal cars in white just look poo.

If we are talking trolley jacks This is a good one to buy, you can put it under the back crossmember and i will lify high enough to dislocate the springs, only propblem is the locking mechanism sometimes sticks but a regular dose of oil cures this, otherwise its brilliant, as for bottle jacks i carry a 20t ex renault magnum one in the 130 wich also does a good lift with a stable base.