Storage ideas needed - bit of a mixed bag

FridgeFreezer

I have three of these reinforced plastic cargo boxes. They carry loads and can be used as work surfaces too.

DSC04795600x450.jpg

These are superb. They're actually called 'foot lockers' available from US Army surplus store or through the comasary on any US Army base. $17 each.

Do you have any mates that work on a local Army base? They'll be able to get a couple out for you.

I have apair for use in the Discovery.

JU,

I have an ali box bolted on to the wheel box - tools only

I then use .303 or .30 small ammo boxes wedged/strapped into small spaces for spares.

As for oil etc that goes in a stanley tool box bolted onto the wheel box.

Hand tools are 'fisted' on to a timber board that's screwed down one side.

Ropes/strops are in a couple of canvas holdalls.

B&Q or Machine mart do some really cheap tool boxes with drawers...

"Really Useful Boxes" for me too, they fit pretty well between the wheel boxes.

A sheet of 1/4" ply is less than £15 quid, that and some batten, and some screws, and you're away, certainly at a prototyping level for starters anyway.

Luke, surely ply is stage 2 prototyping...? Haven't you forgotten the cereal packets? :lol:

Fridge, Dave Lang has an old 3 drawer bed side cabinet in the back of his for his tools. works well AFAIK.

Fridge, with your scavenging skills, i am surprised you haven't been and found the bits that you need! :)

Try the local tip/dump, its amazing what people chuck out, you may find some useful bits there.

For a start if you want drawers, why not look for some old kitchen units, and scavenge the metal drawer runners, and then find the bits you need to make up a custom box. Using ply and shelf angle ought to get you in the right direction, for the unit you want, depends on how sturdy you want it to be, but that ought to be a start. What about looking for a scrap van with a storage system in it, must have something in your BT van! :ph34r:

Haven't got any pics handy but my day to day stuff goes in the side lockers in the 110 (you could have them Fridge if you went to a van sided rear) they hold all the fluids, and misc stuff. I carry some tools and spares under the drivers seat. The rest goes in a couple of big sturdy toolboxes strapped to the rear wheelboxes. Hi-lift is zip tied to the rollcage rear brace so I can get at it easily. I have some dexion racking that holds other misc stuff like waterproofs. Tea/coffee,matches etc bungey in.

Will :)

As corrode finger suggests, I think rummaging is going to be step #1, I have some half decent 19" rack runners already and can probably source some more ;)

Jez - Bribery sounds like a good option although getting tiggy wiv it will probably be a way down the line once I've sorted out how everything needs to work. I have a sheet of zintec acquired from work so that can be used for the stage 2 prototype.

If I had the cash, this stuff looks like it'd make a very bling solution:

R390003-01.jpg

They do rounded edge profiles and all the hardware to make racks/drawers etc.

"Really Useful Boxes" for me too, they fit pretty well between the wheel boxes.

Yup, another vote for 'Really Useful Boxes' here. I had used an old spares box from my service engineer days for camping equipment but when it started falling apart bought a couple of the above from the local Staples stationary store. They are cheap yet really strong - you can supposedly stand a car on them according to one advert.

They are a good square shape, stack well and you can see whats inside them.

Hi

I have a cupboard type thing built in the back of my 110 ht. Its about 3 ft wide and extends from the wheel box vertically up to the roof line, its got 2 drop down doors which double up as tables for food prep etc and a full width door across the top, i'll try and get a pic, not finished yet but should hold loads when its done... the problem is with lwb van types the slide out drawers anrnt ideal... you either have to step over them or have them 6ft deep :)

mike

I'll 5th (I think) the Really Useful Box suggestion. We kitted the whole Camel out for about £40 taking advantage of the sales. They are as built in as you would need them to be, we have rope boxes either side of the rear and the boxes fit in neatly there - with a cargo net over the top they've off-roaded around Seven Sisters and all the dirt roads here in Alaska without shifting an inch. They have a million different sizes, check out Staples in S'ton (if you can bear to go there ;):D ) for a look.

The advert is indeed a new mini standing with a wheel on each box, Richard's also used ours as a step ladder when fixing the Dlander at Eastor and we've lived out of them (litterally) for the last 7 weeks B) Still, I know it's probably not what you want... but they do come in different colours :lol:;):D Look forward to seeing your solution. I;ve got something completly different planned for George... I have to keep reminding myself I have to build him yet! :D