right rear wheel - very hot

neels

Hi

I drive a disco 2 td5

After driving today (rainy weather) i notiched steam coming from my right rear wheel (rim). It turned out that only the right rear wheel is getting very hot. Even the air inside the tyre is hot. the other wheels were cold.

Did anyone experience something similar. - maybe brakes - wheel bearing etc.?

Neels

The two causes you suggest i.e. binding brakes or a stuffed wheel bearing, are the two most likely possibilities.

Also a flat tyre gets quite hot when driven on but I guess you would have noticed that :)

You could try jacking it up & spin the wheel (IF you can!)

Had exactly the same problem last week, i removed the wheel and found it to be binding. I removed the caliper & brake pads, cleaned & lubricated pads, pushed the caliper piston back to check it wasn't seized, refitted it all back together and the car was fine for a couple of days, then noticed the wheel was getting hot again, so i replaced the caliper with an exchange caliper from Land Rover, no more problems since.

Hope this helps.

Hi

Yes Martin propably the best advice i received untill now ... He He He (Wont give you a address of a forum again... He He He) - welcome anyway - Go Springboks Go!!!

Dom - Great advice did it - will look at it again and see if it gets hot again.

Neels