Yellow Breather pipe and fittings

Gary

Hi guys

Can somebody point me in the right direction as to where to purchase some Yellow breather pipe and the push to connect fittings. I'm after fittings that have a lock ring rather that just drill and tap.

Does anybody have a RS Components product number for the above or recommend another suitable supplier. The reason for using a lock ring type fitting instead of a drill and tap is that I need to vent some relatively thin plastic waterproof electrical boxes.

Any info will be gratefully received.

Kind Regards, gary :)

Hi

Please

Can anybody tell me of the size, gauge and best type of breather pipe to use for axle, gearbox and transfer case?

What size and type of thread is the standard breather hole for a Land Rover Defender axle casings? Is the thread size imperial or metric?

What size Banjo fittings does the gearbox and transfer case have?

I'm sure somebody on this forum must know this info......................

gary :ph34r:

• 3 weeks later...

Gary

I've just redone all my breather pipes. The g/box and t/box are 1/8 bsp fittings and IIRC the axles are the same. I've used 6mm od air pipe with push fit swivel fittings with a 90 deg bend so pipe runs along axle tube not verticle. Stainless ofcourse. The company I used was Fluid Air Componants in Kent. VERY helpful over the phone and over the counter. They do mail order and their prices are cheap. They are on 01634 297298.

On a side note does anyone know the thread size for the wading plugs on a 200 tdi disco lump. I want to fit the breathers to them and then I'll have no need to remember to fit them. Is this a good or bad idea?

If you put a breather pipe in place of the wading plug, you won't know if there is an oil leak from the crank rear seal , gearbox input seal or the slave cylinder. The purpose of the wading plug hole is to allow any leaked fluids to drain out rather than contaminate the clutch linings. Depending on what fluid is leaking, you can diagnose where it is coming from. Ideally, the wading plug should only be fitted before wading, and removed afterwards in case of future leaks.

If you have a breather pipe fitted here and a leak develops, the leaked fluid will settle in the lowest point of the breather pipe and won't stop the level rising inside the bell housing. Unless you use a clear breather pipe, you won't see the leak developing either.

I have a small tarp which I take with me to lay on. When I get to an off road site I get under the landy and put the plug in. At the end of the day I take it out before going home.

Regards,

Diff

talking of damage to the clutch, what kind of symptoms/prognosis after driving for a year with the breather plug in, mild rear crank oil seal leak? Clutch seems to work, although a judder on hill starts that I couldn't trace to the transmission [now much better, I had removed the timing inspection cover to allow the flywheel to spin the oil off, while the wading plug had looked seized] reminded me what that plug was!

apologies for a bit of a thread hijack

4 cylinder Landrover clutches often seem to cope quite well with oil contamination. Mild contamination usually results in judder when slipping the clutch in certain circumstances(eg hill starts) as you have discovered, More serious contamination leads to clutch slip whereby the engine speed will rise without a corresponding rise in road speed.

Usually provided you can live with the judder, and the drain plug is now out, it shouldn't develop into clutch slip as the oil now has an escape route. The clutch judder 'sometimes' gets less as time goes on providing there is no further contamination of the linings.

If you can't live with the judder, it will have to be replaced.

Regards,

Diff

Gary

I've just redone all my breather pipes. The g/box and t/box are 1/8 bsp fittings and IIRC the axles are the same. I've used 6mm od air pipe with push fit swivel fittings with a 90 deg bend so pipe runs along axle tube not verticle. Stainless ofcourse. The company I used was Fluid Air Componants in Kent. VERY helpful over the phone and over the counter. They do mail order and their prices are cheap. They are on 01634 297298.

Hi Walfy

Thankyou for your posting, very appreciated. I will give them a call monday.

Kindest Regards, gary

Gary

How did you get on with F A C today. Did they have what you wanted?

Hi Walfy

Sorry mate for the delay in replying.

I haven't rung them because I fancy taking a trip up there and having a look round.

Checked out thier website, they seem to have quite a bit of gear.

Will let you know when I eventually get my act together how I get on.

Kindest Regards to you mate, g

They don't have a shop as such. Just a parts counter, don't forget to take their catalogue when you leave. I can promise you your shopping list will grow when you get there.