LRO - inflated opinion of themselves ?

Peter

As secretary of a club just got this email from LRO:

WWW.LRO.COM

Land Rover Owner is launching a brand new feature for our November (out 10th Oct) issue, which we are working on now! LRO is the Worlds Best Selling Land Rover Magazine and we would like to help Land Rover Clubs get recognised by offering them a chance of appearing within this fantastic feature

We are offering a maximum of 2 Land Rover Clubs from every County across the UK a chance to appear within this one of a kind feature and we are sure it will work really well with the following benefits:

· Only one other club (you may be the only one!) showcased in your County.

· Your club will be seen by our 45, 000 + readers every month!

· Your club will gain more recognition and could increase in membership!

The cost for advertising in this feature will be as little as £60 per month.

Please don’t hesitate to call me or drop me a line by email for further information.

Kindest Regards

Keighley Hutson

www.lro.com

01733 468 147

keighley.hutson@emap.com

For Emap magazine subscriptions & gift offers visit http://www.greatmagazines.co.uk/emap

For information about all Emap magazines, radio, TV, events and digital brands, please visit http://www.emap.com

The information in this email is intended only for the addressee(s) named above. Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not the intended recipient of this message any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful. Emap plc and or its subsidiaries do not warrant that any attachments are free from viruses or other defects and accept no liability for any losses resulting from infected email transmissions. Please note that any views expressed in this email may be those of the originator and do not necessarily reflect those of this organisation.

Emap plc, Company number: 435820 (England), Registered Office: 40 Bernard Street, London WC1N 1LW

Can't believe they are so detached from their readers, expecting clubs to pay £60 a month to advertise in their mag (assume this is what they mean ???).

Last time I give Emap shareholders my money, without giving it careful consideration.

What do others think ?

Read on another forum about LRO now being full of adverts.

Peter.

Guest diesel_jim

I was always under the impression that magazines went out to find clubs, maybe hang around for a day at a trial chatting and taking piccies.

perhaps the price of gold leaf has risen, and craddocks only have 60 million parts to advertise in the following months, to money is tight? :rolleyes:

Yes, I would suggest they have an inflated opinion of themselves.....

................. along with all the other magazines too!! ;);)

The magazines are now ( I think that years ago they weren't ) of articles written well by jornalists - unfortunately they were better when they were not so well written but were at least honest and enthusiastic!

Whoever pays the best adverts also gets all the free plugs and those who don;t suck up get ignored. Statements made in magazines are simply not correct or at best are flawed.

I fully appreciate that the magazines are there to make a living so why can't they come clean? Why not admit that fact, let it be known that they are not the 'mouthpiece of the 4x4 publec' anymore and will look after their own and there advertisers first.

I suppose they are struggling a bit... too many magazines in a market now dominated by the screen, not the printed word...

David

:hysterical:

£60 P Mth, well what a bargain :hysterical:

I'll definately mention this at the next HBRO Committe meeting, I'm sure they could all do with a good laugh.

Methinks they might just find the clubs are not exactly fighting over each other to get this

You can imagine this has come out of a 'think tank' meeting of like minded souls maybe wondering how they can increase circulation / interest in the magazine, raise revenue for advertising, and increase profitability all at the same time, .....then some muppet must have suggested this and then then all Ooooed and Aaaad and said what a great idea..

Frankly LRO is now one of the WORST UK Magazines, huge amount of adverts, some shiney bling superfiscal roadtest, a 10 page "We fit have someone fit a set of mudflaps" shock horror exclusive, more adverts.

If this was an e-mail sent on 1st April I would say "Brillinat", but its not so ""£$%^&*(" :lol:

Amazing, no wonder LRO is so poor

Nige

hahahahahahaha

thats hilarious!

LRO yet again making money from an article feature. Its like when you see the 'features' by Coblers inc. on tyres and winches etc. Makes me wanna puke.

So not only is the journalism going down hill, but they cant even write original features off their own back anymore without it being paid for as part of some sort of sponsorship deal.

Makes you wonder how many of the articles are actually just that - no strings attached articles!

and i can just see YORC paying £720 a year for advertising. AHAHAHAHAHA - its tantamount to egotism for any club that goes for it. "oooh, look at us, arent we good! we're big shot, we feature in LRO....."

as we only have 30+ members regularly attending events throughout the year (which is more than enough for trials etc), thats the same as each of us paying £25 a year just to get our name in a mag that is fast becoming a joke. Most of us bitch at the cost of trials going up £5 to cover land and insurance increases!

It strikes me funny, how they didn't mention the fact that their circulation numbers are going down. :o

Didn't they used to have ~100k circulation? :blink: No wonder they're getting worried - serves 'em right if they go under IMHO.

BTW this month's Practical Performance Car has more interesting off-road features than LRO - namely a Dakar running a MegaSquirted Chevy V8 :D

BTW this month's Practical Performance Car has more interesting off-road features than LRO - namely a Dakar running a MegaSquirted Chevy V8 :D

Yep,got it ;) .I think that practical performance car is a good mag,especially like the 27litre v12 rover :o (not sure about practical though :lol: ).I have started buying mags like this instead of the LR mags,most are just like buying a yellow pages interupted with a few articles about cars :angry:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=v-aC5B348rA&...ted&search=

Paul :P

Another reason not to buy LRO.

So, the club will be featured because they organise good events, have interesting vehicles or PAID ? :rolleyes:

To be honest I stopped getting it a few years back. It's just a shopping/parts catalogue now.

Just another business pretending to be enthusiasts. :angry:

Shame they don't rethink the entire mag - its S***e of the highest order :(

nige

I'd totally agree! In fact I think all the dedicated 4x4 mags are! I saw one on the shelf the other day advertising it had a feature on the best articulating 90 in the UK. I flick through and find a 90 with an extreme kit with HEMI jointed rear trailing arms and slotted bushes :huh:

I've found there's only one motoring mag I read now - Octane. Its well written (by people who know what they're talking about), informative and looks at genuinly interesting cars. It is a magazine that you will read cover to cover.

I'd agree with Will on Octane. Excellent magazine!!

I think the problem is car magazines in general. Classic Cars was superb, but it degenerated massively over the last 3 years - the only noteworthy regular was Quentin Willson and that doesn't justify the purchase price, so I cancelled my subscription last year.

Car Magazine is now a coffee-table exhibit and a shadow of its former self. Pefrormance Car was superb when Clarkson was writing for them and a relative unknown in the mid-late 80's. That disappeared and merged with Car.

I now only get 2 LR mags a month and wifey gets Top Gear. To be fair, TG is there for the occasional flick, but it's still better than most. I really ought to get her to switch to Octane.

Of the LR mags, I find myself wavering. I did think LRO was great, but the quality has declined lately and it's a big shame. LRM, in my mind, is getting better. I just cannot do without the magazines - to me, they're an essential part of LR life, as are these forums.

I'd totally agree! In fact I think all the dedicated 4x4 mags are! I saw one on the shelf the other day advertising it had a feature on the best articulating 90 in the UK. I flick through and find a 90 with an extreme kit with HEMI jointed rear trailing arms and slotted bushes :huh:

I've found there's only one motoring mag I read now - Octane. Its well written (by people who know what they're talking about), informative and looks at genuinly interesting cars. It is a magazine that you will read cover to cover.

To be fair they claim it as it won some UK twist off?

Cheers JC I'll have another pint :P