200tdi - won't run...

Last week when away from home we noticed the 110 was ticking over faster than usual :huh: . I thought I'd sort it when I got home (I was camping with the kids). Anyway, its stood in the drive all week and when I come to start it today it runs like a bag of spanners.

To get it to run I have to wind the idle adjuster / accelerator cable half way of the travel. It will just tick over (albeit fast) with this setting, but obviously its not right at all.

Does this sound like possible fuel starvation? or air getting in? (if it was a petrol, those are the symptoms I'd expect).

If it was the lift pump, it would make starting a pain......but would it make this "half throttle" necessary to tick over?

Driving it, it only gets up to 50mph slowly....not the usual 65/70 comfortably.

Lift pump first port of call???

what you think

Cheers

Jas

What engine?

Would have thought a dead lift pump would only affect the top end, when the FIP can't pull enough fuel on its own.

Should idle ok with a dead lift pump.

Lift pump is a cheap and easy fix, but your idle problem sounds like something else :(

had the same happen to me:

it was a combination of 2 things......well one leading to the other.

1. I had a leak at the tank end of the pipework. I was drawing in air as well as fuel.

2. Once fixed I had to bleed the air out - unscrew the bleeder on the top of the fuel filter housing.

I also had a duff fuel pump at around the same time - it exhibited the same symptoms - except it ran OK once it was at high revs (but had poor tick over and kept cutting out)

hope this helps

Last week when away from home we noticed the 110 was ticking over faster than usual :huh: . I thought I'd sort it when I got home (I was camping with the kids). Anyway, its stood in the drive all week and when I come to start it today it runs like a bag of spanners.

To get it to run I have to wind the idle adjuster / accelerator cable half way of the travel. It will just tick over (albeit fast) with this setting, but obviously its not right at all.

Does this sound like possible fuel starvation? or air getting in? (if it was a petrol, those are the symptoms I'd expect).

If it was the lift pump, it would make starting a pain......but would it make this "half throttle" necessary to tick over?

Driving it, it only gets up to 50mph slowly....not the usual 65/70 comfortably.

Lift pump first port of call???

what you think

Cheers

Jas

200 Tdi runs fine with dead lift pump - as long as is it not actually blocking the fuel passage.

The problem could be within the injection pump itself or (more probably) air getting in the fuel.

Try to splice a piece of transparent hose into the fuel line - just before the injection pump. If you see small bubbles of air in that transparent hose while the engine is running you have found your problem.

I had a dead lift pump, and all it would do was idle, at standard revs, if you asked any more of it, it would run out of fuel and starve.

It doesn't sound like the lift pump to me.

Then the lift pump was actually blocking the fuel passage. Bypass the lift pump and it would run fine.

• 3 weeks later...