defender engine in 109

dixe

A friend of mine has a 109 which has been fitted with a defender diesle engine. He urgently needs prove that this engine was being built in 1983. So that he can get his car registered as an oldtimer. We know that this was not being mass produced until 1984, but surley somebody out there knows where we could find proof that Landrover were playing with this engines in 1983. This would mean that he can keep his car on the road with out paying a small fortune in road tax (we are talking around 700 pounds) and be will still be able to use it in the city centre of Berlin.

Dixe

It's very difficult for many people, even the German DMV, to recognise the difference between a 2.5L displacement naturally aspirated 4 cyl engine and a 2.25 L displacement 4cyl engine. I suggest that your friend utilize that difficultly if it is indeed a 2.5NA in there. If it is a later turbo diesel he will be SOL...

according to my friend its a 2.25 engine which came from a defender. The TUV will only except an engine which was available 10 years after the manufacturing date of the car which is 1973. as they may have shared engines does any body know where I can download for him the parts manual as a pdf file.

dixe

The only info I can find is that the TD engine was introduced in 1986. I worked on a 1983 110 last week and it had a 2.25D engine in it. I did a search on Land Rover engine history and can find no date for the start of the 2.5D engines, just when the TD started. Early 110's did have the 2.25D engine fitted as standard for a a very short while.

Check this site:-

http://www.glencoyne.co.uk/enghist.htm

Les.

I have just checked with my friend and found out that it is the 2.5 turbo diesel. The information that he requires to get this engine allowed is to prove that most of the parts used in the engine are the same as that 2.5. He thinks that the crank was changed but most of the other parts are the same. If anybody could e-mail me with a scaned copy of the engine from the parts catologe. this would more than likley be enough for the TUV.

Dixe

I have just checked with my friend and found out that it is the 2.5 turbo diesel. The information that he requires to get this engine allowed is to prove that most of the parts used in the engine are the same as that 2.5. He thinks that the crank was changed but most of the other parts are the same. If anybody could e-mail me with a scaned copy of the engine from the parts catologe. this would more than likley be enough for the TUV.

Dixe

Hallo Dixe,

I´d say it is easy to prove with a PartsManual at hand. Just take one from the SIII (which your friend ought to have anyway) and another from the Defender. Part numbers will show what the TÜV-men want to see. These engines IMHO are just one familiy with minor changes, call it "evolution".

And indeed the Defender in the very first years had the same 2.25l engine, either Diesel or Petrol. They always had 5 main bearings, just as the very last of the SIII vehicles had (instead of the 3mains before).

This what we are trying to do but I dont have a parts manual for a early defender. That is why I am trying to find out if anybody knows where I can download it or if I could be sent an scanned copy of the engine page.

Dixe