Kenlowe Fan on a 300Tdi

Suddenly came round to the idea of fitting a Kenlowe fan to my '94 300Tdi 110.

Maybe it's that fan noise first thing when I drive off with a cold engine that got me wondering.

I also know that a few people don't use fans at all. Not my preferred route.

Anyway, a few questions:

1. Is it worth it? Paddocks quote ~£130 for the kit.

2. Any difference to performance or economy?

3. Whay exactly do I need? I know I'll need to use some of Simon's E-Eng excellent product as well, but what?

4. How long would the fitment take?

Your advice would, as always, be much appreciated!!

Si.

I've just fitted a fan out of a Ford. £15 from the scrapyard.

See this tread http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=15857

on how to fit it.

I used big zip ties through the rad to hold it on, doesn't move a bit. To do this thread a zip tie through the rad from the front, in line with a slot you have made in the fan cowling. then using another tie, pull the tight, cut off the waste. DO this in all 4 corners and 2 either side in the middle. job done.

Is it strong enough, well some of the aftermarket manufacturers use a similar fixing

post-4497-1189323163_thumb.jpg

post-4497-1189323180_thumb.jpg

I fitted a kenlowe to the original catflap using the cable tie arrangement they supply with the fan. Over a year or so the ties moved about and damaged the core of the radiator. I've read a few posts where this has happened, so it might be a common problem. I have an X-Eng fan switch in the bottom hose and made a frame to mount the fan.

med_gallery_2_39_970041.jpg

med_gallery_2_39_519762.jpg

med_gallery_2_39_934499.jpg

med_gallery_2_315_634283.jpg

Les.

Thanks gents!!

BUT, is it worth it?

I've heard reports of a Kenlowe affecting the cooling of a Tdi as it may not switch on when needed all the time. Is this correct?

What's the benefit of the X-Eng fan switch. I've read that the Kenlowe switch is poor quality, so it this the only reason?

How long would it take a numpty like myself to install? A day?

My cooling system is fine, apart from a mystery leak somewhere. Will this be money well-spent?

The switch that comes with a Kenlowe is awful! a bit of damp and the thing stops working (fan off all the time), so the first you know about it is the engine overheating. You can encase the switch in a water-tight box, which would cure the problem. Routing the thermocouple is sometimes awkward, and the length of it limits where you can locate the switch. There's a special rubber insert that you have to use to insert the bulb in the top of the radiator, and sometimes it's difficult to get a good seal at this point. 2xjubilee clips and loads of silicone are the norm. The X-Eng fan switch is fully automatic and unafected by getting wet. Two wires on the switch - one from a permanent power supply, and the other goes to the fan, which is earthed by it's own wiring. So fit and forget really. Kenlowe (or Pacet as another option), are expensive though, so scrapyard fan from Mondeo,Renault, etc will cut the cost right down. You can fit other types of switch to the radiator or hose, but a bit of fabrication work is necessary.

Les.

The Kenlowe fan is a rip off.

I fitted a Mondeo fan, cost peanuts from the scrappy and fits well too, with a little bit of fettling. Don't secure the fan through the rad, you run a good risk of dammaging the fins.

P4170038.JPG

Obviously there's less room to work in on a 300tdi. One of the reasons i put the electric fan on the 200tdi was the room it gives to access the engine.

Ok, so exactly how would you mount the fan to the radiator?

Cable ties work loose. World more cable ties work better?

Too close damages the rad fins.

What works reliably?

Please bear in mind that I've never attempted anything like this before, so can a numpty like me be able to do it?

my leccy fan is secured by four brackets that fix to the four 'corners' of the fan.

Two brackets run to the top studs for the original viscous cowling.

The bottom two are drilled into the mount below the rad.

It's secure and no cable ties to damage the actual radiator.

Were these brackets a DIY job? I don't have fabrication facilities.

All I want is to fit it once and forget.

They actually came with a kit that I bought from Famous Four, but they are very simple.

Just a length of steel with a hole in each end.

Pics to follow.

If I was doing it again, I wouldn't buy a kit. I'd get a fan from a scrappy and Simons thermostat.

At the time I fitted this, I didn't have a scrappy near me and I didn't know a while pile :P

The brackets aren't exactly fabrication. They could be done with a drill and a hacksaw.

DSC_3573.jpg

DSC_3574.jpg

DSC_3575.jpg

Well Im glad i suggested using cable ties :rolleyes: Because if I had not the error of my ways would nt have been pionted out. I was going to use brakets but saw the idea somewhere and thought that will "Do", How right I was :unsure:

So off with the cable ties and on with some good brackets, something that I should had done in the first place

I've got a Mondeo fan, an X-eng thermostat and the fan is held on with cable ties to the rad frame. Excellent set-up that keeps the Tdi nice and cool off-road.

Don't go through the rad with your ties because in a relatively short time you will have a leak.

Mo

Famous Four (as Gromit's suggestion) do their own fan with proper mounting brackets and a modified thermostat, like X-Eng's.

I've ordered that and will also put in a 2-way switch for Off / Normal / Continuous On.

This'll allow me to switch the thing off when wading and thus try and keep a clean engine and also to override the thermostat if she ever gets too hot.

Hopefully, we'll get this installed at the weekend. Pics to follow.

A million thanks for all your help. You've done me proud, again!

Famous Four (as Gromit's suggestion)

It's a good, if expensive, kit.

The first thermostat I got was duff, but they changed it no problem. I've had the kit in for about 4 years with no problems. The spal fan is nice.

One thing though, is that they suggest mounting the relay on the wing near the PS fluid. It's pretty exposed to the elements there. If the relay gets wet, it'll short and start the fan.

After staying in a friends house, I was walking back to the truck after a torrential downpour the night before. When I got to the truck it was sitting there, cooling itself, and had been doing so for hours, flattening the battery beyond its starter spinning ability :angry:

I've since mounted mine in a small tupperware box bolted to the wing and no problems since.

Gents,

Jim Attrill has raised an important point. Kenlowe (or similar, in my case) fans aren't up to the job of cooling a 300Tdi under high ambient temps, such as SA. In Jim's opinion.

Whilst I have no intention of taking my 110 to SA, this issue concerns me. :(

I'm wiring mine to a 2-position switch which will enable the fan to be permanantly on (ignition accessory) if required.

Question:

Is the Kenlowe up tp the job of cooling a 300Tdi effectively? I've still time to cancel the order today.

PLEASE give me peace of mind!!

I need your experience.

Si.

Is the Kenlowe up tp the job of cooling a 300Tdi effectively? I've still time to cancel the order today.

The general consensus :ph34r: is that a viscous fan moves much more air than an electric ever could.

Whether this is needed though is debatable, IMHO

I have run my 200tdi 110, with a completely knackered rad and no fan in over 40 degrees. Only time I had to back off was on steep sustained hills, either on long motorway stretches, or 15% alpine hills.

They are renowned for being overcooled, so it's not something that would worry me, providing your rad is in ok nick.

I've not had a fan on mine for nearly two years now. No issues except when offroading in hot, sticky, still woods, or sitting on the motorway queuing after working the engine hard. When a diesel isn't working, it's not making heat, you've just got to spill the excess that you made before you came to a stop which is why it gets hot sat still on the motorway.

I'd say you'll be fine in the UK with an electric fan.

A V8 kicks out more heat and mine has no problems so far running twin electric fans - before that I was running a single Mondeo fan on a Series rad (so arguably the rad was below spec for the engine) and it coped OK. As has been said, TDi's hardly need fans at all anyway.

I think any cooling issues you may have will be down to the combination of rad & fan - if your rad is rubbish it may be OK with the constant gale of a viscous but an electric that only trips in at a certain temp may not catch an overheating system in time.