4x4 GPS Units

tedsmart

Hi, I'm after a GPS unit that is going to be good on the roads but also good for getting away into the hills, forests and beaches, and is easy to operate.

Is there anyone on here thats got any experience of these units?

Any advise from someone using one would be great. Good and bad points.

Thanks.

Hi, I'm after a GPS unit that is going to be good on the roads but also good for getting away into the hills, forests and beaches, and is easy to operate.

Is there anyone on here thats got any experience of these units?

Any advise from someone using one would be great. Good and bad points.

Thanks.

I got a Garmin Legend for about $180 of ebay

Great for use on fraser and straddie and the like

Just have to get the right maps. Can be used to fine places

The other is OZ explorer which you put on laptop and then go and download or get the Full aussie maps on cd or the hema maps on cd and then the laptop (with a GPS mouse) will then plot you on the map as you drive. So easy for tracks and beaches

Ali

I got a Garmin Legend for about $180 of ebay

Great for use on fraser and straddie and the like

Just have to get the right maps. Can be used to fine places

The other is OZ explorer which you put on laptop and then go and download or get the Full aussie maps on cd or the hema maps on cd and then the laptop (with a GPS mouse) will then plot you on the map as you drive. So easy for tracks and beaches

Ali

Thanks Ali, I haven't got a laptop and wouldn't like leaving one in the car!

Whats the garmin one like? Does it show the tracks on Fraser or just give you a compass direction?

Thanks Ali, I haven't got a laptop and wouldn't like leaving one in the car!

Whats the garmin one like? Does it show the tracks on Fraser or just give you a compass direction?

:blink: you only live in Redclfie area its not that bad :lol:

But there again it is the north side of the river :lol::lol:

As you my tell i live in Cleveland ,On the south side of the river :rolleyes:

If you get a detail enough map then the Garmin one does

And shows you compass and other stuff

:blink: you only live in Redclfie area its not that bad :lol:

But there again it is the north side of the river :lol::lol:

As you my tell i live in Cleveland ,On the south side of the river :rolleyes:

If you get a detail enough map then the Garmin one does

And shows you compass and other stuff

No it isn't that bad nothing like Liverpool, where they would and often did steal the milk from your cup of tea!

I take it you use a Garmin they do seem good but how good under the cover of a rain forest or at the base of the glass hse mt's?

No it isn't that bad nothing like Liverpool, where they would and often did steal the milk from your cup of tea!

I take it you use a Garmin they do seem good but how good under the cover of a rain forest or at the base of the glass hse mt's?

mmmm have not tried it, but you can put an external ariel on it

Can borrow mine if you want to have a play with a really basic one

Similar to Ali's suggestion, OziExplorer on a PDA, I've used an Acer n35 and Compaq 3630, gives a really good solution. I run two systems, which are very similar.

Acer:

built in GPS, and good too, don't need external aerial much, mmcx connector. Has SD slot so a 2GB card holds all the maps I need at the moment. Also have tom tom on there, there are australia maps around, so you could use that on a day to day basis and for off road days.

Compaq:

Compact Flash GPS, s**ty built in aerial, nearly always needs the external, again mmcx on mine, Problem is that as standard this one only had 1 compact flash slot, I got a jacket that gives it two, but these are like hens teeth now.

I'd get one with built in GPS unit, the Acer seems good and was a good price when I got one, but compaq build quality is v good. Dead easy to slip these into your pocket or wifes handbag which is difficult with a laptop :)

mmmm have not tried it, but you can put an external ariel on it

Can borrow mine if you want to have a play with a really basic one

Thanks for that!

I'm going to make time and go to Anaconda at everton park and see what they have got.

If you are heading out on a drive in the hills or beach's any time let me know and if possible we would tag along!

Cheers.

Similar to Ali's suggestion, OziExplorer on a PDA, I've used an Acer n35 and Compaq 3630, gives a really good solution. I run two systems, which are very similar.

Acer:

built in GPS, and good too, don't need external aerial much, mmcx connector. Has SD slot so a 2GB card holds all the maps I need at the moment. Also have tom tom on there, there are australia maps around, so you could use that on a day to day basis and for off road days.

Compaq:

Compact Flash GPS, s**ty built in aerial, nearly always needs the external, again mmcx on mine, Problem is that as standard this one only had 1 compact flash slot, I got a jacket that gives it two, but these are like hens teeth now.

I'd get one with built in GPS unit, the Acer seems good and was a good price when I got one, but compaq build quality is v good. Dead easy to slip these into your pocket or wifes handbag which is difficult with a laptop :)

I take it that you run the software on a PC /laptop, but don't understand about the Tomtom bit! Can you get the software that runs TomTom and load it on your laptop????????

I take it that you run the software on a PC /laptop, but don't understand about the Tomtom bit! Can you get the software that runs TomTom and load it on your laptop????????

Nope, TomTom on the PDA and OziExplorerCE on the PDA as well. I run Ozi on the laptop to generate maps etc but out on the road I have one of these Acer n35 and the version of Ozi OziExplorer under the CE bit. Strangely I don't think you can get tomtom for PC, you can get it for linux in a roundabout fashion it seems....

And I guess I should say, I have 2 PDAs, I upgraded from my compaq as vista doesn't support it, but they are independant. In fact I will probably be selling the compaq soon, reading back on the post it seemed maybe that I needed two to operate.