series gearbox mod

oddballrovers

If Bill's gonna write a book I'll place an order now! It would be the green bible - new testament :lol:

Back on topic, I have just checked out how far my transmission hangs down - it doesn't:

Clearance.JPG

This could be a result of the deeper 109" chassis, or perhaps LT230's are shallower than the Series box? My engine & transmission isn't especially high up (I can shut the bonnet :P ).

yes Bill, and post more photos! you could (should) write a book on it all. maybe call it - 1001 reasons to hate land rover ??

I'm sure I can think of more reasons than that. I was never big on photographic or written records. I usually made things after doing a chalk sketch on the garage floor. Even my portals were made like that. When I walk around my LandRover graveyard I say to myself, What the hell possessed me to do that ? And what was I thinking when I made that? How many years did I waste doing that?

There must have been a better way to spend a lifetime :unsure:

Bill.

I vote to lift the whole thing, would be so much easier ? (still not easy though!)

i think mine is about three inches higher than standard. no problems with shaft angle (109) but really need to adapt a cable hand brake setup.

also - you'll need to raise the engine mounts the same to ensure the prop shaft angles are kept the same.

any way my 2c

misc011.jpg

Hi Crossy.

I do not like the idea off lifting the two heaviest items on the truck, if I can I will lower the engine wich I hope will be possible perhaps not much but every thing counts on competition truck.

Ole.

Hi Crossy.

I do not like the idea off lifting the two heaviest items on the truck, if I can I will lower the engine wich I hope will be possible perhaps not much but every thing counts on competition truck.

Ole.

just take the roof off to compensate!! but yeah, know what you mean. wonder how big a difference to stability it would make?

what about a big arse skid plate?

I'm thinking about re-doing the mid section crossmembers, so they be flush with the chassis rails. dunno if I could be stuffed though.

aaa1.jpg

just take the roof off to compensate!! but yeah, know what you mean. wonder how big a difference to stability it would make?

what about a big arse skid plate?

I'm thinking about re-doing the mid section crossmembers, so they be flush with the chassis rails. dunno if I could be stuffed though.

aaa1.jpg

Hi Crossy.

I can not take the roff off, has to be there or I will have to have a 6 point rollcage (regs), can do with 4 when the roof is keept and a "shaved" truckcap is less then that and gives protection for rain I am not a pussy but we do on an average 200 road miles between sections and have to keep roadbook and so on dry.

The skidplate is precisly what I am heading for, crossmembers up between rails and then a plate off 5 mm Si1 alu as skidplate bolted to them and the rails. Si1 is almost as strong as ordinary steel.

Regards

Ole.

When I walk around my LandRover graveyard I say to myself, What the hell possessed me to do that ? And what was I thinking when I made that? How many years did I waste doing that?

There must have been a better way to spend a lifetime :unsure:

Bill.

That's a bit of a doleful reflection Bill, do you regret what you have done?

If that is so then you can find solace in the many people who respect and look up to you based on your knowledge and acheivements

That's a bit of a doleful reflection Bill, do you regret what you have done?

If that is so then you can find solace in the many people who respect and look up to you based on your knowledge and acheivements

. Do I regret what I have done? I had to have a serious think about that question. Whilst I never did realise my lifelong ambition of the round the world 4wd adventure and crossing of the Darien Gap, this all consuming interest has afforded me a reasonably secure and enjoyable means of earning a living for the past 40 years, and has enabled me to travel to many interesting places and meet hundreds of interesting people both here and overseas. The time spent out of the pub whilst building/fabricating has kept me sober and reasonably fit and healthy too, so all in all I am quite happy with my lot and have few regrets despite the occasional doleful moments. Thanks for causing me to reflect on that Lewis.

Bill.