Pressures for larger tyres

glaggs

An important issue that no-one has addressed yet is the compatibility of the various air types with the Land Rover Spider, putting metric air into some 205's fitted to an S1 might seem like a good idea but can cause disastrous spider malfunction. I'm sure there was a tech bulletin with a cross-reference of air types, spiders, and wheel/tyre/truck combinations for optimum performance.

Has anyone got the very rare RAVE manual on laserdisc? I believe this was the only one to feature it as the later editions on CD used the wrong wavelength of light and they couldn't transfer the data across - it kept falling through the holes.

An important issue that no-one has addressed yet is the compatibility of the various air types with the Land Rover Spider, putting metric air into some 205's fitted to an S1 might seem like a good idea but can cause disastrous spider malfunction. I'm sure there was a tech bulletin with a cross-reference of air types, spiders, and wheel/tyre/truck combinations for optimum performance.

this was my concern although I hadn't considered the effect of the wrong air on the LRspider, is it possible to add anyhting to metric air to make it compatible with the older type spiders, I don't want to have to change these as I believe the older spiders are made of better quality materials

Please be careful using metric air with a LRSpider. Spiders have no concept of metric, due to have no fingers to count on (they use Base8 as their numerical system), they can however just about grasp imperial as they can use each of the two front pairs of legs twice whilst counting, they seem happy to do this as long as they have enough dead flies in the web to use abacus fashion.

Will :)

not sure about bigger tyres having stiffer sidewalls Escape - big boggers (after they've been broken in) have the sidewall stiffness of my wifes gravy, it makes them nice on meat but can leave unpleasant stains during high speed feeding frenzies :huh:

Agreed, I just made a generalizing simplification to prove my point. Off course the sidewall stiffnes will differ from one type of tyre to another. Besides the stiffness of the material, ther's also the factor of the amount of rubber/belts that is being deformed in a large tire compared to a small one.

OK if this was true why not just run' solid tyres and leave out the air altogether. You could engineer them to deform to give the right contact patch on the road surface and even offer some help by deforming over bumps etc. Answer because they would over heat because the air pocket is an aid to keeping the tyre at the optimum temp. Adjusting the amount (mass/volume -delete as you wish) of air inside the tyre will influence the operating temp of the tyre. Temp. of the tyre is crucial to the tyres performance, ever heard about warming up the tyre?

Solid tyres are a lot heavier, so not suited for high speeds, but they can be found on forklifts etc.

Because you have no air pressure to adjust, they are also less adaptable to differing situations.

E few years ago Pirelli (I think) develloped a tyre without airchambre, instead it used a kind of spoke design to transfer the forces. Nothing much came of it, it would have to be specially designed for eacht type of car and usage.